Chapter Eight

A/N: Trigger warning! This chapter contains depictions of depression and suicidal thoughts. Please read at your own discretion. 

About a week later, Castor and I headed over to the Louvre, letting the others stay behind while we tried to see if we could get to the orb we were looking for. We still had no idea whose it was, but we could just bring it back to whoever it belonged to if it wasn't mine.

We didn't want to attract too much attention, so we all agreed that just Castor and I should go. So far, we hadn't had any problems. We'd made it into the museum pretty easily, walking in under the glass pyramid and going underground.

"Are you getting any feelings about where it might be?" I asked Castor. He scanned the area and a small smirk pulled onto his face. "Yep," he said. I waited for him to elaborate.

"I can sense it's inside... Though, that's not the only thing I'm sensing," he warned. "What else is there?" I asked, immediately on guard. He glanced around, scanning the area. "Something big. Big and angry," he said, putting a hand in his pocket. I bit the inside of my cheek in thought. "Why are there monsters trying to guard the orbs? I mean, what's it to them if we get our powers back?" I looked over at one of the exhibits, watching the area around it for any kind of beast.

"Easy. If we get our powers back, no snack for them to munch, and their annihilation," he said, his voice getting colder. "We don't generally touch them in our godly forms though," I mused. "It just doesn't make sense."

"Ares probably promised them some nice tasty snacks... And since he was brought down, they don't have anywhere else to go, so they stick around, hoping we're stupid enough to go try and get the orbs," Castor said. "They just didn't count on us getting some help."

I nodded in agreement. "Let's at least go see what it is," I said. "Then we can come back and have at least some idea of what we're going up against."

Castor gave me a look of I have no clue why you're wanting to see something that could give me a hard time, but fine. We walked around and found it. The orb glowed an amethyst color, and was lodged in a statue apparently called "Psyche Revived by Cupid's Kiss".

It was cradled in the arm of Cupid, (who looked nothing like his actual subject) just across Psyche's breasts. "Of course, the place no man's allowed to reach," Castor commented. "That is a little awkward, isn't it," I agreed, trying not to blush.

Castor sighed and looked around. "Let's get out of here, I don't like the feeling I'm getting from the monster." I finally nodded, then turned around. But as we walked away, I heard a deep, rumbling growl from somewhere to the side. I whipped my head around to see what it was, but there was nothing.

Castor quickly grabbed my arm and we disappeared, reappearing in the suite, in front of Leo. That caused him to jump in surprise. "Holy--!" he shouted.

My heart was still pounding, and my hands shook with the adrenaline. "We found it," I said quickly. "We can't get to it though. Not without all of us working together."

"Does it involve spandex and tights for the girls...?" Leo asked. Castor stopped for a moment, blushed hard and glared at him. "No!"

Leo shrugged and took a spoonful of ice cream and shoved it into his mouth. "Now move, my show is on," he said through the ice cream. I rolled my eyes and stepped to the side. "We're going tonight," I said.

I had to get to my orb as quickly as possible. Since I'd been near it, my entire being itched to get it back. It was like retriggering an addiction. Castor left the suite and Leo looked at me. "Wow, you look like you're going into withdrawal," he said, as if he was speaking from experience. "Not that I've been through that!" he quickly followed.