His Heart and the Sea Goddess

"I have a very bad feeling about this," Damien grumbled as he stood next to Ashik and Arabella. Ashik nodded to agree with him as Kaden grabbed Arabella's arm and pulled her closer to him.

"And what if she decides to kill all of us?" He whispered as he leaned next to her ear. Arabella frowned as she ripped her arm out of Kaden's grasp.

“Then I will kill her.” She vowed instantly. Kaden frowned. Arabella’s willingness to kill anything and everything was becoming worrisome.

Kaden wondered when she got her heart back, would she be buried in guilt and remorse?

“Bella,” Kaden started before she silenced him with her hand across his mouth. He tensed. Other than punching him in the face (which she had done frequently since their youth), Arabella had never touched his face. She didn’t seem to think anything of it since her eyes were glued to Jarrus, who stood at the edge of the ship with his hand extended over the lapping water.

Kaden attempted to focus on Jarrus, but all he could feel was Arabella’s hand on his lips and his cheek. It was unbelievably distracting. And Kaden didn’t understand why. It wasn’t as if she was stroking his stubble and whispering sweet nothings into his ear. She was simply keeping him silent because he had been annoying her.

“I summon thee, Circe of the sea, to come to the aid of one who shares your blood. I offer proof of my bond with you to the great and majestic sea so that she will guarantee my sincerity.” Jarrus recited three times as he used a knife to slice the palm of his hand open. Blood poured from the wound and he squeezed his hand tightly, pulling more blood. Arabella watched the red flow from the older man’s hand and mix with the swirling blue water. After he was done, Jarrus wrapped his hand up with a rag and pulled away from the edge. He looked to Arabella.

“Don’t threaten ‘er, Bells. She’d kill all of us,” Jarrus warned. Arabella nodded as she removed her hand from Kaden’s face. Kaden’s frown deepened as she stepped forward, away from him and the others.  Damien was held back by Ashik as the ship suddenly swung around and Arabella was knocked overboard.

“Bella!” Damien shouted. Kaden’s eyes widened as he ripped his coat off and started to run toward the edge. A strong force kept him from moving forward. He sneered at the invisible power and he turned to glare at Ashik. He shook his head, confused. The sound of swirling, crashing water grew louder as the men returned their attention to where their companion had fallen over. They watched as a figure flew out of the water and landed roughly on the deck, sputtering and coughing up water, completely drenched. 

Arabella pushed her waterlogged bangs out of her eyes as she quickly climbed to her feet, ignoring the burning in her lungs from the sudden and unexpected trip into the ocean. She looked up as derisive giggles filled the air and a woman appeared in front of her.  She was nothing like Arabella had been picturing. Of course, her experience with the supernatural had solely consisted of sea monsters.

Circe was the pinnacle of beauty. There was an ethereal air that surrounded her and hugged her like a halo. She tall and lithe. Her skin was smooth and her eyes were a reflection of the sea itself. Her hair was as dark as Arabella’s and hung down her back like a waterfall. Her gown seemed to be made from a sheer fabric that mimicked water in the way it clung to every luscious curve. A gold bracelet on her arm shimmered with priceless jewels and pearls.

Offerings no doubt, Arabella thought. Arabella glared at her in annoyance.

Circe eyed her contemptuously.

"Why have you summoned me human?" She demanded as her voice echoed in the air. Arabella folded her arms across her chest, feigning nonchalance. Jarrus's warning echoed in the back of mind but she ignored it. The being standing in front of her was beginning to get on her nerves.