Her Heart and His Heart

Ashik's transformation was slowed by the dark magic, but he fought against the pain.

Arabella had earned his loyalty. What had originally started out as intrigue quickly morphed into fear, but her sacrifice proved she was nothing like the humans he had ever met before and he would do everything in his power to help her. Ashik dove into the roiling sea just before his bones and skin exploded in scorching pain. The sea helped cool the pain, but not enough to keep Ashik from roaring as he broke the surface in his transformed state. He was struggling to maintain both his form and his breathing. When he looked over at Kaden, he found that the human male was not faring any better than he was, but he seemed to be pushing past it with nothing but sheer determination. Even Damien and Jarrus were beginning to feel the effects of the darkness around them.

Ashik bowed his head next to the edge of the ship as Kaden jumped onto the railing.

"Do not stay any longer than you need to, Ashik. Bella would kill me if I let you get yourself killed," Kaden remarked once he was on top of the Leviathan's head. Ashik nodded as Kaden gripped his scales to stay upright. Before Kaden could get another word out, Ashik dove underneath the water and swam toward the entrance of the cave. Once inside, the two of them struggled to see anything in the darkness. Kaden jumped off of Ashik just as the Leviathan started to writhe. Kaden grimaced as Ashik unwittingly slammed his body against the ceiling and floor of the cave. Kaden attempted to watch Ashik struggle to transform out of his serpent form, but the darkness quickly consumed and separated them.

"Go!" Ashik cried out as he slammed against the coral rock. Kaden frowned before he turned and attempted to find his way through the fog of pain and sharp rocks.

"You stole my future." Kaden stopped the moment he heard her voice. The cadence was one he had grown to hate and appreciate, but the malevolent undertone and eerie depth stole his breath. He could hear it in her voice; she was different.

"My life. My happiness. For what?" Pained gasping answered her rhetoric question.

"Your conceited foolishness?"  Her voice hissed as Kaden heard a dull thud followed by a screech of agony.

"I will kill you and then when I am finished, I will kill every other living thing on this planet until I am finally happy." At her words, Kaden stumbled and fell to his knees roughly. He felt jagged stone pierce the palms of his hands and his shins. A grunt of pain escaped his lips. His eyes searched the darkness for some sign of how close or far away Arabella truly was. Her voice was gone. Silence filled the space. Kaden couldn't even hear the water or Ashik's thrashing about.

"Bella?" Kaden called out as he slowly climbed to his feet. Pain shot up his limps from his injuries but he ignored it. His labored breathing worsened once he was back on his feet.  It almost sent him back to his knees.

Suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder and he turned swiftly to attack. His fist was caught by a strong hand.

"Captain." Ashik's voice caught Kaden off guard, but relief soon replaced the shock.  The Leviathan and pirate did not get much time to plan their next move. Light suddenly filled the space and illuminated them. The two were forced to shield their eyes as the brightness started to blind them. Ashik was the first to recover and the first thing his eyes beheld stole his breath and curdled his blood.

Maera crumpled unceremoniously to the ground, wheezing and clutching her chest. She attempted to push herself up, but her body wouldn't let her. Arabella stood over her with the witch's crusty brown heart gripped tightly in her hands. Ashik stared at her hands. Her fingertips were black and sharp and the darkness seeped up her exposed arms. His eyes followed the darkness up to her elbow where he took note of the unkempt appearance of the first mate. Her usual plaited braid was gone. Wild dark curls hung around her heaving shoulders.  Absolute fear kept the Leviathan from calling out to the woman. She was different. Dark energy swirled around her and Ashik realized where the once all-consuming darkness had gone. She absorbed it and she was so focused on Maera's miserable and terrified form that she didn't even notice the two men.