Her Rage and the Plan

Jarrus frowned at Circe's words. As far as he knew, demons didn't exist.

"Demons don't exist," he voiced as Circe scoffed at his ignorance. She pinned her ocean-like eyes on him and he froze beneath her gaze. The severity of the situation stilled his muscles and raced his heart.

"You think just because you've lived a longer life than most that you know everything there is to know about the world? There are nastier, meaner things out there than a siren or a witch. Demons are soulless creatures that are almost impossible to stop. They cannot be controlled. They cannot be reasoned with. They only live for one thing: bloodshed. The last demon that roamed the earth wiped out an entire civilization in just a day. It took years before the gods were able to destroy it. Even the sea ran red with blood," Circe hissed darkly as she forced her memories into Jarrus's mind. She watched sickening horror spread across his features as he gripped the edge of the ship to keep himself upright. When she was satisfied that he had seen enough, Circe cut the mental connection and released him from her bind.

"Maera has no idea what she is doing. If she succeeds, she, as well as countless others, will perish." Circe declared as Jarrus let out a ragged breath. He ventured a glance up at the woman standing at the helm of his ship and he felt crippling sorrow swallow his heart.

This was not a fate he wanted for his grand-daughter. She had been a beacon of light for him since the moment he met her. Even if her demeanor was cold and mean.

"Can we stop it?" He asked quietly, almost pleadingly. Circe frowned.

"You will have to find her heart before it turns completely black. After that, you must put her heart back into her chest and pray that the darkness does not consume her or her magic." Circe answered.

"How will we know if it's too late?"

"She'll kill you and not even Kaden Lockes will be able to pull her back from her rage." Circe declared as Jarrus grimaced. He glanced at Arabella again and frowned when he noticed she wasn't there anymore. Pike had taken her place.

"If the two of you are going to talk about me as if I am an ignorant child, then please do it where neither I nor the Leviathan can hear you," Circe's head tilted up and her eyes widened when she found Arabella standing in the rigging above them. She glared pointedly at the woman as she jumped down next to them.

"Do you always spy?"

"No, but your conversation troubled Ashik." Arabella replied unconcerned as she pointed to a massive black shadow moving alongside the ship. Circe sneered. She was beginning to question why she had chosen to help the humans.

"Do not tell Damien or Lockes your suspicions. They will run blindly to save me and I will not have them getting themselves killed over something as foolish as loyalty or devotion." Arabella warned as she pinned her gaze on her grandfather. Jarrus frowned, knowing the warning was meant for him.

"You think loyalty and devotion are foolish?" Circe questioned.

"Loyalty and devotion to me is foolish. I care nothing for them, so they cannot hope for reciprocation." Arabella answered. Jarrus snorted as he turned to glare at the open ocean.

"Love ain't foolish," he grumbled disgruntledly. Arabella ignored him as she turned to leave. Circe studied her back as she disappeared into the forecastle.

"So you know Kaden Lockes loves her?" Circe asked as she turned her attention back to her son. Jarrus scoffed as he motioned to the whole of the ship and the ocean.

"Damn near every creature knows it 'cept Bells and Lockes." Jarrus responded as Circe heard a deep rumble resound from beneath the ship. It sounded suspiciously like laughing.