xxxiii

husky
27 january 2020

she kept on moving from side to side as she experienced extreme levels of pain in her stomach as it cramped from the sudden surge of knives being dug into her stomach. although the bed was just the right amount of warm, her body broke into a cold sweat while she tried to shuffle her comforter in a better position that would help make the pressing pain go away, it seemed like it wasn't working.

she moved quietly and removed the heavy comforter that seemed like a huge lump of burden on her now and felt around her nightstand, looking for the pills of painkillers to help make the pain stop since she was sporting both an unbearable amount of pain to her stomach and a migraine that just wouldn't stop making her heart beats pound onto her skull and is growing louder by the minute. she grabbed the water bottle that's been sitting on her nightstand every night as she glanced at the bright coloured numbers on her clock, reading 3:47 in the morning.

she side-eyed her empty side of the bed then looked down to her bulging stomach of 5 months of pregnancy, she sighed as she thought about how this baby didn't deserve to be raised by a single mother when it could've had two loving parents instead. she glanced at the clock again and thought if she should call her mother to help her relax since she seemed to be the only person who could help her in moments such as these.

so she reaches over carefully to her phone with a warm hand on the bump that's starting to appear on her stomach and fondly stroked it while she dialled her mother's number by memory, knowing full well she'd still be awake just to watch the sunrise since it was the weekend and it would be easy to go into the nearby forest that's in her neighbourhood to watch the sunrise from the perfect spot. she's always admired the way her mum would put the effort into seeing the simplest things that nature has to offer.

she didn't take long to answer, it was only on the third ring, "hello dear, why are you up so early?" her mother stated in that husky voice of her that she always had in the morning due to the lack of conversation in the quiet early morning since her dad always liked to sleep in. she cleared her throat before she voiced out her answer, "it's nothing, your baby girl seemed to be up for some kicks and made me wake up", she chuckled quietly to herself, thinking that this must be what her own mother did when she was pregnant with her.

the soon to be grandma sighed quietly, "i can already tell that this girl of yours is going to be a troublemaker like you." "she wouldn't be my daughter if she wasn't, you should know you're going to be helping me out in raising her!" "do i even have a choice? it's my baby girl, i'm going to be spoiling her."

the mother and her daughter spoke to each other on the phone until the sun rose to shine onto the world and wake people from their deep slumber, it seemed like their chatter would never cease, but she finally felt that sleep is overtaking her and said goodbye to her mother as she put her head back onto the now cold pillow with only the thought of that husky voice of her mother's on her mind and how she couldn't be more grateful for her loving and comforting presence in the darkest of nights.

~R.