35 Teasing Thumper

🎶 Safe & Sound : Capital Cities 🎶

Charlotte:

"I almost lost you back there..."

Damiens voice cut through the silence in the cab. The kids are behind us, gently snoring, faces screwed up in the most adorable expressions. The four in the bed of the truck are mostly silent, or can't be heard over the wind the truck makes as Damien sped down the interstate, dodging any cars left behind by people unclaimed. Bodies still decomposing in the near summer heat.

We'd lost the police a few towns back, the sirens sounding like a distant memory. The bombs have always made my heart clench, flinching each time one goes off, ignoring the thoughts of rapidly increasing fire hazards and the pain that comes with it. Even if it's only in my head.

"No you didn't." I smile over at him. Reaching out my hand to cover his. It puts a a little bit of light back into his eyes. The expression on his face makes him seem more serious, older. More like the man I'd heard he is, the one I'd read about in those stupid Manila folders Killian gave me.

I understand the need to be hard, unflinching. To stay strong for the people around you in times of stress. My unit had been my people, my strength. Or so I'd thought.

Damien turns my hand, lacing my fingers with his before bringing my hand up to his lips. He kissed me softly, expression still stony, but I didn't miss the tenderness in which he held my hand. The soft way his lips moved over the back of my hand sent warmth coursing through me.

"You're face is going to be stuck like that." I whispered.

"Too stoic for you love?"

"Not at all. It's kind of sexy."

He glanced at me then, surprise etching his features.

"You don't intimidate me at all Damien."

"Mmmm, we can change that." He grinned, turning forward to put his eyes back on the road.

There's a seat between us. I'd moved over a while ago to rest my head on the window, allowing the cold to help with my rising headache. It's completely gone now that Damien has a hold of my hand.

"When did you get my truck?" Changing the subject seems like a good idea as I unbuckle, scooting closer to him. Pressing my breasts into his arm, distracting but not so much so that we could potentially crash.

"Seatbelt."

The look he gave me, so severe, so demanding. If we were alone I'd give him road head. He picked up on my thoughts, shifting slightly to let his erection stay comfortable. As comfortable as could be that is.

I grinned. Wrapping the lap belt over my hips and securing it. Noticing the tick in his jaw as he tried not to watch and keep his eyes on the road.

We'd given a few blankets to our people in the truck bed. The fresh air comes streaming through the back window, bringing the sound of Roman and Mabel speaking. The other two are silent.

I'm itching to know what's going on with Jax and Maze. I turn slightly in my seat trying to get a glimpse of them through the tinted window But all I can see is the back of Jax's head. Maze seems to be curled up in his lap still, Hidden from my view.

They said she's ok. I just haven't been able to speak with her yet and I'm slightly anxious.

"Snoop." I look back at Damien, who is grinning from ear to ear. That utterly dazzling smile that always seems to take my breath away.