42 Challenged at the Campfire

🎶 Hit me like a man:The Pretty Reckless 🎶

Charlotte:

I find him sitting on a tall log with the group around the fire. Leaning over his bent legs, one elbow resting on his thigh with his hand fisted under his chin. His brows were furrowed in concentration while he listened to the conversation. I didn't step out into the open right away.

Yeah, I'm eavesdropping. So what? Men talk differently when there are women around. Especially ones who haven't proven trustworthy in their eyes. I'll have to remedy that somehow.

I peered over the side of the truck, taking in the men around the fire. A few I don't recognize, some I do.

"We couldn't find anyone else. We stopped Voss from gunning the girls down but I don't know what fucking happened to the others." Thaddeus Grey looked older in the firelight.

His ash blonde hair looked darker, messy as he ran his hand through it. Blue-gray eyes looking tired with dark bags under them. "He had them blindfolded, on their knees in front of a dugout pit. Naya and I shot his men down."

He sighed, crossing his arms as he relived the terrible scene In His minds eye. "A few of the girls were shot anyways. Voss ran with his tail between his legs after we took down the last man. We barely got away before the police came."

"Why did the girls lose it?" Maddox asked. Looking just as haunted as earlier but cleaner after having showered. His hair curled slightly I noticed. It's not really messy, just curly. "They just fucking lost their minds."

"No idea." Jedrek supplied. "Ember and I used a lot of energy to try and heal them. She's passed out right now. I'm going to bed soon too. I'm wiped." He sighed. "We did notice a foreign substance in them... but it was elusive." The light shined on his bald head making it look like he had a small halo.

"When Charlotte came back to me, She'd been marked by Killian." Damien said softly. The men's heads whipped in his directions. Eyes surprised.

"But you'd already mated with her by then right?" Jedrek looked disturbed.

"Yeah." Damien ran his hand over his face, scratching his stubble. "I don't know how that bastard managed to override my initial mark."

He glowered at the fire before continuing.

"She came back to me and didn't even know who I was. I... marked her again over his mark and a silvery substance came out....I sucked it out." He grimaced. "Made me feel cold. Like I'd never be warm again."

"It made me feel fucking crazy. I almost ripped through Roman and Jax." He looked over at the hulking man with an apologetic look. Roman just smiled and shook his head. 'No need' the look said.

"I threw it all up. My body couldn't take it. Then... Charlotte started to remember things.... fucking projected them.... Fuck..." That strong hand seemed to tremble before he wiped his chin again. His face looked pained. My heart clenched.

"What kind of things did she remember?" Declan asked leaning forward.

"You will have to ask her yourself. It's not my story to tell." Damien stated, looking up through hooded eyes.

I don't know if my heart could swell any more. If he can keep my secrets... I'll be damn sure to keep his. This man just earned brownie points.

"Must be fucking terrible if you don't want to talk about it." Maddox stated looking grim. A tall man next to him snorted derisively.

"She must've fucked half the city too though no?" He shook a head of dark curls, his accent rough and Scottish. A sneer evident on his face. Eyes shadowed despite the fires light.