Chapter 7

Winter 2013

It's her first winter in Korea and she's been going through a lot of other firsts: first time to layer multiple winter coats (she hates all the weight of it); first time to layer multiple winter coats to cover their short pleated uniform skirts (it's absolutely stupid, mom, she once whined); first time to finally see snow – something she has dreamed about all her life.

The latter unfortunately still isn't happening to her; she heard Seoul sometimes doesn't get snow, so she may have to convince her mom to bring her up north for it on winter break.

It did make waking up late on weekends worth it, snuggling inside her comforter and trying to hold in as much heat inside as possible. Jennie claimed she'll outgrow it soon and would hate the cold like the rest of them, but for all her 16 years in muggy Thailand, she decided she WILL get to have her honeymoon period with Korea's winter.

Besides, how can Lalisa hate winter if she has Jennie's warmth underneath the comforter making her feel snug, too?

"What's that smell?" The Thai grumbled, after waking up to warm arms snuggled behind her. Teen Jennie usually brings with her wisps of soft musk and a velvety fragrance mix of jasmine or ylang-ylang or peach, she's not sure; a great departure to the fresh citrus colognes of their young summers. Today, however, she smells of something spicy.

Like gochujang spicy.

"Mum asked me to bring you some tteokbokki." Jennie's muffled words were warm on Lalisa's nape.

"What's that?"

"Spicy rice cakes. They're winter food."

"Oh. So that's why you smell like gochujang."

"Do I?" She felt Jennie withdraw from her hug and sniffed herself. "I was helping in the kitchen so I guess, yeah. I'll spread it all over you, then!"

Jennie launched into a full tickle hug, rousing Lalisa and squealing under the Korean's tight hold. The Thai might be sinewy but she's always been tougher, so she wrapped her pyjama covered legs around Jennie and tackled her, pinned her on the bed.

"You always fight dirty," Jennie laughed, still squirming under Lalisa's strong hold on her wrists.

"That's what you always say when you lose."

"That's because you ALWAYS fight dirty."

"You're just a sore loser."

"Hey," Jennie pouted. "I'm not. Take that back."

Lalisa chuckled at the Korean's antics. The girl can be very easy to frustrate sometimes, although she's almost sure she's just trying to play with Lalisa's emotions. The Korean knows she's...what's the term—whipped?

The Thai bent down and kissed her friend on her button nose.

Lalisa could swear she heard a small gasp, but maybe she's just imagining things.

Jennie gazed at her slightly wide-eyed, looking a little ridiculous still pinned down on the bed under Lalisa.

"...kiss me again." She whispered. It was soft and almost pleading.

Lalisa was a little confused but she acquiesced. There are times Jennie could be very emotionally volatile: playful now and then needy next. She gently lowered herself on Jennie, then carefully placed a long kiss on her nose.

She felt the Korean hold her breath. She saw the green in her hazel eyes go darker, eyelids softly hooded.

"You're not a sore loser. I promise," Lalisa affirmed her through whispers, almost worried about breaking the spell between them.

After a few tense moments, Jennie nodded, then slowly slipped out of Lalisa's hold. The latter hesitantly crawled out of the bed, surveying her room for her house slippers.

"Let's try the tteokbokki, then. I'm starving," Lalisa declared, trying to diffuse any butterflies that never quite left her stomach. She found the slippers near her window and ambled towards it, leaving a reluctant Jennie on the bed. She heard the Thai let out a loud gasp.

"It's snowing! It's finally snowing!"

In her excitement, the wide-eyed girl opened up her bedroom window, not minding the cold greeting of the winter wind that immediately swathed her lithe body, wrapped only in thin cotton pyjamas. Her grin almost froze on her skin, wide and adorable as she took everything in.

She stood in front of her window just mesmerised.

Lalisa felt arms circle her waist; the Korean's chin rested on her shoulders as the two girls were transfixed at the sight outside. The sun has barely risen and the streets were wet, the weather casting a diffused grey on Seoul's buildings...but there it is: soft cottony strands of white were strewn across the neighbourhood which created a beautiful contrast Lalisa has never seen before in her life. She knew seeing snow was magical, but she didn't realise it would be this breath-taking.

The two bodies stood there, wrapped in the soft winter wind's hum and breathing in sync, savouring the moment.

"Do you know what first snow means in Korea?" Jennie's words were barely released in the air as if worried about breaking the magic.

Lalisa gave a hazy imperceptible head shake, worried about breaking the stupor herself.

"They said that the person you're with during the first snowfall," The wisps of Jennie's breath on her ear made her shudder. The Korean then tightly brought herself around Lalisa, perhaps thinking the latter was cold. "Will be with you for a long, long time."

"That's beautiful," Lalisa heard herself murmur after a few minutes of losing herself in the trance brought about by the feathery white flakes in the air, as she pulled the girl's embrace tighter, then rested her head gently on the girl's cheeks.

It made her feel warm to think that hopefully, if the first snow's promise delivers, she will be with Jennie for a long, long time.