003

CHAPTER THREE

SHES GONE
"I can help you"
-
After a couple of seconds of convincing Meg and Jo to ride in his carriage, in the carriage ride Jo could tell that Laurie looked quite stressed, which made her a little worried.

She pushed the thought into the back of her head, thinking that she'll ask him what's wrong later. When they arrived at their house, Jo helped Meg get out of the carriage, and Laurie made sure to open the door for them.

Laurie then helped supporting Meg, and they walked to the door, gently giving it a knock. After a couple of seconds, a woman covered in flour, holding a book opens the door, the smile on her face instantly fading when she saw the condition Meg was in.

"Goodness gracias what has you done?" The woman asked, not being able to hold back her laughter.

Beth, and Amy quickly run down the stairs to see what is up.

"Here, make room" Jo paused, trying to create room for Meg. "Meg is a wounded soldier!"

"I sprained my ankle while dancing"

No one looked quite surprised, they looked as if they expected it. "Oh Meg, you'll kill yourself for fashion one of these days!, hannah! Get the ice!"

The girls rush to take care of their wounded sister, after that was done, they started chatting to each other.

"Tell is about it!" Any said with an excited tone, then looked over at Laurie before whispering to Jo, "what's he like?" She questioned.

"Was the music wonderful?" Beth asked, only being able to imagine what it was like to hear the music there.

While everyone was chatting, Laurie just stayed outside, quite awkward I should say, his harms in front of his body as he rocked slightly back and forth.

The woman who seemed to look like the mother of the household noticed how awkward Laurie looked so she motioned him to come over.

"Come in! Come in! Apologies for the chaos, I enjoy baking in the middle of the night! Don't mind the clutter Mr.Laurence we don't—"

Before the woman could say another word, Laurie managed to cut her off mid sentence. "Laurie, please" he said with a small smile.

"Can I call you teddy?" Jo asked, excitement in her eyes as she spoke.

Laurie was quite hesitant, but by the look on her face it was as if he couldn't say no. "Of course!" He said with a small forced smile.

"You must be apart of the girls' theatricals!" The mother spoke with a smile on her face.

Amy took her chance to introduce herself. "I'm Amy!" She said, trying to get Lauries attention.

"Hello" Laurie said with a polite smile.

After a couple of minutes of talking with the family, Jo suddenly pulled Laurie into a separate room.

"Is everything alright?" She questioned, looking at his pale face.

"Yes of course, why wouldn't I be?" He asked, raising an eyebrow since he was confused as to what she was talking about.

"Well I'm only asking because you seemed quite upset in the carriage ride home, did something happen at the party?" Jo questioned once more, not giving up to try and find out what's happening.

Laurie but his lower lip, debating on whether or not he should tell her about Alice.

"Well, there was this girl at the party, i knew her when I was around eight years old, she was the most kindest and most caring person I've ever met, but when she moved, i never got to see her again" Laurie paused, he seemed quite upset, but Jo didn't really judge him, she actually looked quite sad for him.

"I saw her at the party, and she was talking to this guy, when he left we kept talking but it seemed as if she had all of a sudden started to hate me, I don't know why but I think that her father did something to her"

"Why do you say that?" Jo asked, tilting her head to the side when she heard that Laurie thought that her father was up to something.

"She kept telling me how her father opened her eyes and knocked some sense into her by telling her that I was a bad influence" at this point Laurie had a frown on his face, he would do almost anything to become friends with her once again.

"That's horrible Teddy!" Jo spoke, shaking her head a little. "I'm sorry to hear that, do you know where she could possibly live right now?" Jo asked.

"She could possibly be moving back next to my house because I saw cars in the drive way when I left the party but I'm not too sure" Laurie said, not knowing for sure that it was her.

"Well, if she lived right next to you then that's great, you could talk to her and possibly try and get her to be your friend again" Jo said with a smile.

"But I'm not too sure if that'll work Jo, especially if her fathers around" Laurie said, frowning a little to himself.

Jo thought for a moment before opening her mouth to speak. "I can help you" she said with a smile, just wanting to see Laurie happy again.

"You would do that for me?" He asked with a smile.

"Of course! I'll try and think of something tonight, but right now you must leave since it's getting quite dark"

Laurie looked out the small window and nodded his head. "Of course" he said, sighing a little as Jo guided him to the main room.

"Lauries leaving now" Jo spoke to her sisters and Mother.

After saying goodbye, Laurie finally walked outside of their house, and after a couple of steps in front of their house, Laurie looked back at the house, and stared at a window that contained the image of Jo scribbling and writing into what seemed to be a piece of paper.

He smiled while looking at her, she looked quite adorable when she looked as if she was in deep thought. Then he thought back to their dance, and thought about how his heart skipped three or two beats every time she smiled.

At that moment, right then and there, that's when Laurie knew that Jo March would be his greatest companion of all time.