5. Rattle & Hum

I couldn't get Joe's warning out of my head. It had been a few days since the party and I still hadn't confronted Nick. I think I knew, deep down in the shipwrecks of my soul, it was one of those "walks like a duck, quacks like a duck" situations. I possessed an impeccable ability to read people and something was off. I couldn't keep blaming his upbringing or social awkwardness. I didn't want to accuse him or bring it up without having evidence. I'd been trying to keep him busy with chores and activities; taking him places during the day and telling Kiwi to hang out with him in the evenings, when he got home from work. I thought if I kept him busy, he either wouldn't have time to do drugs or he'd get a hankerin' for them and I'd catch him in the act.

    Kiwi was going on a business trip to Florida with Daddy Dan, for a few days, and insisted that Ally come stay with me until he returned

Kiwi was going on a business trip to Florida with Daddy Dan, for a few days, and insisted that Ally come stay with me until he returned. I don't know why that made him feel better; we're both pussy galores. I remember this one time, I babysat her and no one told me the window washers were coming to do the house. So, I'm sitting there, minding my business, when it looks to me like we're being invaded by unknown forces from the windows. My best idea was to throw colanders on our heads for protection-I took the plastic one and gave her the metal one, so don't say I'm not a natural born protector-grab a meat tenderizer and order a pizza. My hope was that they would kill the delivery guy instead...and maybe leave the pizza.

I was awoken by a text from Ally, that she had arrived. I was in no rush to get out of bed, as she could take care of herself, until I heard Nirvana blasting away at 8:00 a.m.
I thought it was Nick and I wanted to yell at him to let out my frustrations about everything else. I threw the blankets off and bound into the hall, to give him a char-grilled piece of my mind, but found Ally and Kiwi in his office; doing the electric slide to Come As You Are. Kiwi noticed me first and held up a finger, like I shouldn't interrupt them until they've completed the slide in it's entirety. Ally gifted me with a half-hearted wave, but was too engrossed in the slide for much else.
K: "See, Ally Cat, you can do the electric slide to any song. You just gotta change up the tempo when the recipe calls for it."
He changed the song to Smells Like Teen Spirit and they both started the dance over; going considerably faster this time.
A: "I mean, I feel like an idiot but you're right; It really does work! You're some kinda sorcerer, sir."
K: "Why don't you try this at your next school dance, huh? I bet you'll pick up all the guys."
A: "Is that how you got Tayl?"
K: "I'm not one to give away my mating ritual secrets but look at me at your own risk, Al."

We heard a car horn beep from outside, as Kiwi's car pulled up to take him to the airport. He finished gathering his work papers and shoved them into his leather binder, before giving Ally a farewell hug.
He made his way over to me, frowning and pulling me into him like he was afraid he'd never see me again.
K: "Are you gonna be ok with Nick, Princess? Be honest. Say the word and I won't go."
I squeezed him tighter, taking in the spicy scent of his Chanel cologne. I was pretty tempted to beg him to stay but I knew Daddy Dan would be irritated since they had meetings scheduled all week.
T: "I hope so. I feel better when you're here but it's for work. You can't be irresponsible just because it's family. Plus, it'll be nice to go to bed without listening to you sing Broadway hits and pretending to do the can-can in bed."
K: "Not a turn on?"
T: "Dry."
K: "Noted."
A: "The fuck goes on around here?"
K: "Don't give yourself anxiety over it. I told Joe and France to check on you and keep an eye on things. You can call them if anything happens and I'll come right home; I know Ally here to protect you isn't saying much."
A: "Hey! I'm more protective than you. I'm not scared to mess up my hair and I know 911."
K: "I thought there was an area code! You're like expecting a teddy bear to protect you from monsters under the bed. Delusional comfort."
A: "You can't even spell delusional."
K: "I don't know, I never tried; so there!"
A: "You didn't finish college, so odds are slim."
K: "Is that supposed to make me feel bad? I make seven figures a year, so fuck that pish posh. I had all my basic education; ask me anything."
A: "Who's Lee Harvey Oswald?"
K: "...Doesn't he live up the street?"