6. Six Ways From Sunday

By the time we got home, Nick had passed out and fallen asleep. I pulled in the driveway and jumped out of the car, not bothering with him. He was capable of coming inside on his own, when he came to.

     Ally and I headed straight to his room to see if we could piece together his puzzle of fuckery. I wished I'd walk in and there'd be big Blue's Clues on a crack pipe, a gun and a pile of meth rocks and we could be done. When we entered the room, I was shocked at how clean and organized it was; the smell of Febreze wafting through the air. I expected a chaotic dumpster fire of a dwelling area, like his life.
T: "I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll take the bedroom, if you wanna do the closet and whoever gets done first can do the bathroom."
A: "Maybe next time I tell you someone's shady boots, you'll listen without having to beat them into oblivion."
I still felt angry pressure built up in my chest, like I swallowed an apple whole and it was stuck in the center of my sternum.
T: "About that...I'm gonna need you to be sneaky boots and not tell Kiwi 'til I decide what I'm gonna do and know what we're dealing with. I don't need him playing king of the castle and dictating everything because he thinks it takes the stress off me."
I did not need them tag-teaming me and I knew that's exactly what would happen. This was my cross to bear...I just wasn't sure what flavor cross I was bearing yet.
A: "I don't feel right lying to him."
T: "Yeah, I know ya don't, because you think he's the second coming. When the shit hits the fan, you better have my back. Mine. I don't know why you act like I'm so incompetent that it must be a given that Kiwi's always right. I need you right now."
She took a deep breathe, just staring at me. Usually she'd protest that she hadn't done anything wrong, but not this time. She'd been like that since everything that happened in high school. I think it was just out of fear that sometimes I wasn't capable of making good decisions, and she never knew when that sometimes was.
T: "I know I recently may or may not have beat someone into submission in my vehicle but you know what they say, dontcha? "You do drugs, you get your ass beat in the car."
A: "Who says-"
T: "-No one, I made it up. You caught me. Let's start digging before he wakes up."

    I opened his walk-in closet and Ally went straight for the shoe shelves, saying that's where most people hid things on Intervention. I stepped further inside, surveying the area and trying to pick a place to start. As I scanned the closet, something orange caught my eye, on top of the door frame. I got closer and pushed myself up on my tip toes, trying to knock whatever it was off the frame with my finger tips.
I finally flicked it onto the floor as it made a loud clicky sound. I whipped my head around to see what I had uncovered.
It was a needle. One of the cheap ones you can get at any drug store.
T: "Ally..."
She looked at me, confused and waiting for me to speak, until her eyes darted to the floor and her mouth fell open.
A: "Oh, shit."
She slid across the hardwood and picked up the needle to examine it.
T: "Don't take the cap off! You'll get the whole hepatitis alphabet or the hiv!"
A: "What's a hiv?"
T: "It's baby aids! Then it grows into a toddler with the capital HIVs, then it gets a summer job and hits puberty and you get full blown AIDS."
A: "I'm pretty sure it's pronounced H.I.V. Isn't that what Uncle Fruit Loop died from?"
T: "Yeah, that's why they called him fruit loop."
A: "I don't get vibes that Nick likes the D, but I also don't need hepatitis, so consider the cap untouched. Apparently we need to watch our fingers as we search."
T: "I'll go through his backpack incase there's more; I don't want you getting hurt. Don't stick your hands in shoes all willy nilly."

     I headed over to the bed where his backpack was lying. I cautiously opened it and took out the articles of clothing that were bursting out, as huge whiffs of Tom Ford cologne about knocked me out and drug me up the street. I shook the clothes out, to make sure nothing was hidden inside them. At the bottom of the backpack was a graveyard of water bottle caps, Q-tip cotton that had been removed from the stick, orange needle caps and a bag of unused needles.
A: "I hit a jackpot..."
T: "Me too. What'd you find?"
I looked up and saw her holding a bunch of trashy magazines and wrappers of some kind.
T: "Get that trash out of my house! You rip those up and burn them right now! I hate titties!"
I motioned to the fireplace across the room, as I ran to it, flipping the switch to turn on the flames. I grabbed one of the magazines and began tearing it, throwing the pieces directly on the fire so a vagina didn't melt onto a log or some shit like that, that always seems to happen to me.