summer.

summer.

summer wasn't the best time for a heist like this. taehyung was dressed in all black, as was everyone else, and they had masks over their faces and hats to cover their hair and gloves and long-sleeves; they were so covered so nobody could see their skin. and it made for a lot of sweat and a lot of uncomfortable heat in places taehyung didn't even want to talk about.

"let's be quick." taehyung whispered to yoongi. his hand was all wrapped up in jungkook's. that was against the rules; both hands were to be on the gun when one first enters a building on a heist, but fuck those rules, taehyung just wanted to keep jungkook safe.

"quick as a bug." yoongi said, and then they were jogging across the field towards the building. ducking through the doors made the heat go away a little, as the building was dark and cold and a little bit creepy, if only taehyung got that sense much more. jungkook began to shiver, but he kept quiet about it, didn't let his teeth shatter or his gun rattle.

"listen really careful for footsteps. don't shoot immediately; it might be hoseok and namjoon." taehyung whispered to jungkook, keeping as quiet as he could. "this floor should be mostly cleared out; hope and joon have been through here already."

"what am I supposed to hide behind if we get shot at?" jungkook whispered. "you told me to hide but- there's nowhere to hide."

"duck behind me."

"what?! taehyung, you'll get shot then!"

"keep your voice down. just duck behind me, okay? I know what I'm doing."

jungkook hesitated, but he said, "okay."

"and-"

"shh!" yoongi's piercing voice echoed the hall, and he held one hand out, stopping jungkook and taehyung in their tracks. taehyung was quick- had never moved quicker in his life- to push jungkook behind him and raise his gun. there was a light creaking sound in the background, just down the hall, and some water dripping. taehyung wondered if that was a coincidence or if there was actually someone down there.

"footsteps?" jungkook whispered. "I don't hear anything."

"I heard someone else whispering." yoongi said. he glanced back at taehyung. "he said your name."

taehyung listened for a few moments, but he didn't hear anything.

jungkook did.

"behind you!" jungkook said, and he was already turning around, raising his own gun. there was a person standing in the doorway of an empty room, teeth brighter than anything else through the darkness. taehyung pushed jungkook back again, made sure the boy was covered.

"who are you?" taehyung asked, eyes red with fear and pressure.

"you don't recognize me?" the man said. taehyung nearly dropped his gun.

"tae?" jungkook whispered. "is that your dad?"