Chapter 6 | Baby, I've Got Wings

When awareness returned to him after getting plucked out of the previous world yet again, his confusion was almost tangible. Since the start of this so-called tutorial, he had never come across anything that strayed from his provided mission. Lila was the changing factor.

This incident provided a lot of information to him. The alert alone gave a lot of hints to the answers he was seeking. Spiritual energy... was an important puzzle piece to figuring out a lot of things.

He didn't have an enough of time to ponder on the changes, however, when the familiar swirling black mass that surrounded him faded away to reveal an expanse of never-ending grey with curious patches of pure white. His body was frozen as always but... something felt different.

It took Gabriel a good few seconds to realise that his surroundings also extended downwards.

He was frozen midair.

When realisation struck, it was too late. He didn't even have the time to take in the light blue colour that bled into his surroundings to cover the initial grey, or those cute and fluffy clouds merrily floating and drifting along with the gentle breeze, before he was hurling towards the ground and towards his painful, *painful* death.

A scream ripped through his throat as he started a futile struggle to maintain balance. He couldn't even hear himself scream even though he felt the pain in his throat, his ears were assaulted by the overwhelming sound of the wind as it resisted his fall. He couldn't help flail in the air, the edge of his vision seemed distorted with flashes of black.

The wind itself felt painful as it seemed to cut through him. It had just been a few seconds in this world and he was already failing. His vision was soon filled with the screen he had grown familiar with over the past few years.

Tutorial #14
World Status: ONGOING
Main Task: Fly.
Failure will result in adequate punishment. Best wishes.
View Profile

Fly!? Are you fucking kidding me!?

Even with the sound of the wind rushing past his ears felt distant as he stared at the screen, wondering for the first time whether the aim of these missions was to somehow make a joke out of him. Anger coursed through him as he watched the screen disappear to reveal the peaceful blue sky which seemed to grow distant each passing moment.

His body was falling like a meteor, rushing towards its death at the highest speed. The rushing sound of wind in his eyes, the sting in his eyes, and the weightlessness of his being left him in disbelief.

Okay, calm down! Calm down! Screaming isn't helping. Calm down. Deep breaths. Deep- fuck!

Trying to take a deep breath turned out to be a bad decision, the wind rushed into his windpipe and made it even harder to breathe. He clamped his hands over his mouth to stop himself from doing anything even more foolish and his vision cleared enough for him to spot the flash of black on either side of himself.

It didn't take long for Gabriel to connect the odd black flashes with the pain on his back, it's not like he had time to waste anyway.

They were wings.

With that realisation came a wave of both panic and relief; now, he just had to figure to how to fucking fly before becoming a nice human meat patty on the ground.

"Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck."

This tutorial had finally started pitting him. While cursing, he tried to anchor his wings towards himself but the wind made it difficult. Using both of his hands, he pulled them towards himself, using every ounce of effort he could. It was a matter of his own life and death, after all.