iii: facecam

milo beckman
16 may

today is the day. i'm talking to all of lunchclub for the first time (well, technically second for carson and, like, one and a half-th for schlatt), and i get to stream with them.

this is insane! i was super excited when schlatt joined my stream, he's super cool. but all of the guys? i'm kind of terrified.

what if they all hate me? what if i screw it all up? i don't want to screw this up for myself.

will facecams be on? do i have to dress up? i think i should. i mean, i did stream and talk to schlatt last night in a hoodie, shorts, and pink fuzzy socks.

but i should make a good first impression, right? yeah.

i looked at the clock, 6:03pm, i have just under an hour to make myself presentable.

sifting through my boxes from college, i searched hopelessly for a nice outfit when i got a notification.

[milo.jpg]: schlatt (jschlatt) has requested to send you a message

holy shit. first carson, now schlatt wants to talk to me? i've gotta be dreaming.

sitting on the floor, i unlocked my phone to accept his message.

jschlatt: just so we have it clear; you're short

i laughed, we had gone back and forth three separate times last night over whether i was short or he was just freakishly tall.

milo.jpg: you're just a freak of nature

i hope that wasn't too much. he does seem really nice, to be honest.

jschlatt: you literally do not even know how tall i am

i mean, he does have a point.

milo.jpg: so prove me wrong. how tall are you, schlatt?

jschlatt: 6'3

damn. i was right, that is really tall.

milo.jpg: see? i'm always right

turning off my phone, i went back to looking for a nice outfit. everything i have is either too formal or too slutty or too pajama-y. the three modes of a college student, i guess.

i settled on a black tanktop with a flannel, and put on real pants for the first time since before finals week. my phone buzzed again. 6:45pm.

jschlatt: whatever you have to tell yourself, sweetheart

my heart fluttered at the message. sweetheart? surely, he was being sarcastic, but it affected me nonetheless.

i decided to go onto discord, so that everyone knew i was ready. my heart is pounding in my chest.

should i message schlatt? he seems nice enough.

milo.jpg: i'm so nervous, omg

did i overstep? i hope not.

jschlatt: don't be!! its just the guys

easy for him to say. i can't dump all my anxiety on him, though.

milo.jpg: i guess so

carson then sent a message to check that everyone was ready. we were, so we clicked a voice channel. i could feel my heartbeat in my fingertips and i could barely muster out a greeting.

"hi... i-i guess," why am i nervous? they're 'just the guys' as schlatt said.

i was immedeately met with seven voices, each competing with the others to be the loudest. turning down my volume, i laughed.

"okay... lets try that again," ted (i think) joked. "i'm ted." i was right!

"travis."
"cooper."
"carson."
"noah."
"charlie."
"schlatt."

"wow, this is confusing," i laughed. "i'm milo."

"hi milo," some spoke in unison, sounding like an alcoholics anonymous meeting.

"can you tell us apart, or do you need help?" probably noah asked.

"i'd really appreciate some help, if it won't make you hate me," i sighed with a bit of relief. i don't want to insult them by getting their names wrong, or something.

"what should we do?" definitely carson.

"facecam?" schlatt's voice is hard to miss. "that way you can see who's talking and stuff."

"that's a good idea! i'd really appreciate that, if you guys don't mind," i said. "of course, if you do mind that's totally fine and i can probably figure it out or—"

"it's fine," carson cut me off. "don't worry about it."

bar some grumbling from a couple of the guys, including travis, who had to go put on pants, everyone turned on their facecams. not going to lie, it was intimidating getting stared down by seven strangers.