v: the goats

milo beckman
21 may

so the boys are flying out in just a few days, but i keep second guessing myself.

what if they hate my house?
what if they murder me?
what if they don't like my goats?

i begin to panic, tears burning behind my eyes.

i'm supposed to be streaming some horror game with schlatt in a couple hours, i wonder if he's free now? we've been messaging almost daily; nothing big, just casual 'what's up?' and 'what games have you been playing?', but he seems very kind.

honestly, i really like texting him. it makes me feel at ease, and, fuck it, i need to talk to someone.

milo: hey schlatt, you free rn?

he probably thinks i'm weird.

jschlatt is typing...

jschlatt: yeah whats up?

here goes nothing;

milo: i'm super nervous about you guys visiting, i just need to talk it out with someone, i guess

jschlatt: do you want to call? i can call

i sighed with relief; he doesn't think i'm some creep.

milo: i'd really appreciate that

quickly, i straightened out my hoodie and took down my hair. i have to look at least somewhat presentable.

just as i got my headset back on, my screen started ringing. i accepted his discord call to see him with facecam already on. i copied him and leaned back in my seat.

"hey," i could feel myself blushing already. i don't get why, he's just schlatt, but my face burned anyway.

"hi." his voice is so distinct, i don't think i could ever not recognize it.

"thanks for all this," i fidgeted with my hoodie strings, desperate to get my tension out somewhere.

"it's no problem, really." i hope not. "so, what's goin' on?"

i started gushing immedeately, "y'know, i don't want to disappoint you guys, and my house is pretty small, and i don't want you guys to be uncomfy, and—"

"did you just say uncomfy?" he interrupted.

i nodded nervously, then carried on.

"my house is just this little log cabin in butt-fuck nowhere vermont and, like, my parents won't be home and i just don't want to disappoint you guys, like what if you don't even like my goats, like what happens then?"

he laughed half-heartedly, "you don't have to worry about disappointing us, milo. and i'm sure we're gonna like your goats."

"promise?"

"i promise," schlatt smiled into the camera. "plus, you live in a log cabin? that's so cool."

"it's not as cool as you'd think," do i tell him about the lack of a/c? i probably should, but i won't. "i'm still trying to find places for everyone to sleep."

i held up my sheet of notebook paper. it had a list of everyone's names and the 'sleepable' rooms in the house. so far, i'm still three beds short.

"oh, don't worry about that," schlatt laughed. i will worry, thank you very much. "no matter what you do, carson'll commandeer the plans."

"but, it's just that no one's allowed in my parents' room, so that leaves us a few beds short, and—"

"milo." schlatt stared dead-on at me. "don't worry."

i mumbled out an "okay" and put down my paper.

"so, where are your parents going? you mentioned that they'll be out of town." schlatt changed the topic.

"they'll be in texas visiting my older brother!" luck (and timing) were on my side for their trip and the boys' visit. "they'll be gone for a month."

"a whole month? don't you get freaked out, all alone on that farm?" he seemed genuinely concerned, shifting forward in his chair.

"i mean, yeah," i said honestly, "more than a little."

"i'm sorry, that sucks." schlatt said. "you'll have us for a couple days, at least." he seemed to perk up to an idea. "now, i'd have to talk to the guys about this, obviously," he had a mischievous smile on his face.

"how about you stay with us at the hotel, and come to pax, and stuff? we got an extra v.i.p. pass and stuff for a guest."

my heart jumped to my throat. "oh my gosh, i'd love to!" i felt a grin stretch across my face. "that'd be sososo cool!"

"there's that smile!" schlatt joked. "i make no promises, miles, but i can ask about it and get back to you. obviously, you wouldn't be on-stage or doing any meet-and-greets, but you'd be there with us?"

the new nickname didn't go unnoticed.

"that'd be—i can't," realization flooded my mind, "i have to take care of the farm."

i could feel myself deflate as the smile faded on schlatt's face.

"are you sure? there's gotta be some way for this to happen," it feels like schlatt wants this almost more than i do.

i paused to think.

"i mean, i'd have to pay them," an idea popped into my head, "but i'm sure the farm next door wouldn't mind tending the farm for a couple days." yes! yes, yes, yes! the jacksons are the sweetest family and i'm sure they'd be glad to help.

"that's awesome!" his smile was infectious, and i soon found myself giggling alongside him.

"thank you so, so much schlatt," if i could hug him, i would.

"don't thank me yet, i have to ask the guys and you have to ask your neighbors." his addition brought me back down to earth.

"you're right." i sighed. "and thank you for letting me vent," it really put me at ease.

"it's no problem at all! how about you call your neighbors, and i talk to the others?"

"good thinking," i grinned. "i'll let you know what they say."

"same here," he was already tapping away on his phone.

"we still on in an hour?" i'd almost forgotten about our livestream later, it'll be my first one-on-one with any of the guys. i guess i'm grateful that it'll be schlatt.

"you bet," he shot me one last heart-stopping smile before hanging up the call.

this is so exciting, i hope the boys agree. i'd kill to go back to the city without having to do actual schoolwork. plus, i really want to hang out with everyone, they all seem so cool. i hope they like my house, though.