Chapter 5: Her family.

Egusi soup and garri - A Nigerian dish.

swallow - A word usually used on dishes such as garri, amala, fufu etc.)

HER FAMILY.

"Stop," I ordered him just as I took hold of the handle of the door that led into my home.

"Like I said. You can't go in. I don't want you in my house." I told him the truth but right after wondered a bit if I sounded quite harsh. Regardless, I mentally shook my head at any guilty feelings.

I watched as he let out a light sigh, looking away for a moment as he did it.

"I'll be real quiet. You won't even know I'm there."

"No. Everyone else might not know but I know because I can see you. At school is one thing but my home... Wait..." I stood straight, folding my arms below my chest.

"How do I know that you're not an evil spirit in the form of Bayo and trying to get into my home through my approval?"

"Really Rida? Are you watching white people's movie? Since when have Nigerian evil spirits looked quite lenient as I do." He questioned, irritation lacing in his words, eyes and gestures.

I simply narrowed my eyes at him, an expression that I wasn't the least taken in by his words even though I was. The door opened and I turned to it in a startle. My earlier expression was gone and my present display was that of an innocent girl.

Aunt Destiny, my family's helper stood at the entrance. A frown wore itself between her brows and she had a suspicious look within her eyes. She looked me up and down then suddenly popped her head outside looking left and right before focusing her attention on me permanently.

"Were you talking to someone? I heard your voice and it sounded like you were having a discussion."

"Really?" I questioned bright-eyed and she looked at me with confusion.

"Good afternoon aunt and you might have heard wrong," I told her before walking past her, straight into the house and into the living room.

"Good afternoon mum." I greeted at the sight of my mother who was seated comfortably on one of the sofas, eyes glued to the laptop on her laps.

"Afternoon. How was school?" She added just as I slumped on the sofa right by her side, taking a look at what she was busy with on her laptop.

It would seem she was organizing her work. Mum was a caterer but she majorly took orders in regards to large and expensive events. She had graduated from the university with a bachelor's degree in English but our family was well settled in regards to wealth so dad had made it known that he would prefer she didn't work. Mum had discovered her skills in cooking and built on it. Somehow, she was able to convince dad to let her start a catering business. It would operate from time to time so she does not lose focus on her family.

A smile wore on my face at memories. I love mum's cooking but sadly, I wasn't even in the least bit good as she was. I was a disaster waiting to happen in the kitchen and yet, mum wouldn't take no for an answer each time she asked I helped out in the kitchen.

"Go on. Have your bathe and come have something to eat." Mum urged as she pulled on my arm for me to get up on my feet.

"Okay." Eventually, I accepted and got up on my feet. I flashed her a smile and she did the same before I turned away towards the stairs.

"Oh, Is Erika home?" I worried as I made a complete turn to her.

"Yes. She should be in her room."

"And Dad?"

"He's still at the office."

I nodded in accordance and hurried my way up the stairs. Erika's room was before mine so I decided to pop in first. I pushed the door open. Instantly, her eyes met with mine. She was at her desk. Her laptop, a long note and two textbooks were left open before her.

"Can't you knock anymore?" She queried with a straight face as I strolled in.

"I didn't feel like it." I acted rudely as I made my way beside her, having a look at what she was doing on her laptop. She had been typing up something, perhaps, it was an assignment.

"How's our family's lawyer-to-be doing today?" Suddenly, I went soft, actually caring about her welfare. I watched her let out a soft sigh as she focused her eyes back on the screen of her laptop. I knew things were tough on her but Erika wasn't one to complain or admit the truth. Sometimes, I envied that about her.

"Fine, I'm going." I expressed and was on my way out of the room. She spared me a glance and I smiled at her before shutting the door.

Ultimately, I was on my way to my room. Once I got in, I did exactly as mum had suggested, take a bath. Once I put on fresh new home clothes and stared into the small mirror that hung in the bathroom, Immediately, I was forced to recall all that had happened today in school.

Abruptly self-conscious, I looked around me and there was no sight of him. Thankfully, I heaved a sigh of relief. He really listened.

I had a little bit of one of my native's favourite, egusi soup and garri, a finger-licking dish. I was barely a fan of swallow. I ate them because, at home, you eat whatever that's given without complaints.

Shortly, Mr Levi, my home tutor arrived and we retreated to the other side of the house where our lessons usually took place. He coached me on biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics. He was an excellent coach.

Mid-way into the lesson, he left a few questions for me to attempt on my own while he scrolled through his phone. I was good in every subject in school but I have to admit that part of my victory was as a result of the home coaching. I struggled a tiny bit with chemistry and right now, that was the subject Mr Levi just based his questions on.

I stole a glance at him after a few minutes of trying to resolve the questions. I've got two out of three but I'm unable to decipher the last. A thought ran through my mind of calling his attention to my despair but I felt quite hesitant in doing that. Perhaps, it was because my every performance would be reported to dad by Mr Levi himself.

"Let me help you." The familiar voice was back and I looked to my side, he was seated on one of the spare seats at the table.

Silently, a sigh left my lips as I stared at him, exhausted at telling him to leave.