Chapter 10: The other side of her world.

THE OTHER SIDE OF HER WORLD

WAEC- West African Examination Council

Laila was gone, back into the school building to find out the address of the hospital from Bayo's friends. They'd visited him once they got the news of his accident.

"This is it, right? After this visit, you and I are done." I stated and though he was hesitant, he nodded in the end.

Shortly, Laila was out, hurrying her steps towards me.

"Did you get it?" I asked once she was in front of me and she nodded.

"Rida, if my mum kills me for going off with you, I'm going to haunt you in your sleep."

I smiled at what should be a joke.

"On the other hand, I'm a little grateful for your redemption journey."

"Redemption?" I raised both brows at her and she shrugged her shoulders.

"Okay, new talk, how do we  get past the security guards?" I queried and when I got no reply, I looked around, Bayo was nowhere to be seen. His disappearing acts are getting a lot more often these days. Once I looked Laila's side, she stared at me a little funny.

A car honked and we swung around our gaze towards it. My eyes dilated in surprise. Uncle Shola... he's here? This early?

I watched as he lowered the glass and popped his head a little out of the window. A smile teased on his face.

"Rida." He called once he sighted me.

"What now? Uncle Shola's here." Laila spoke up and I drifted my eyes to her. I was fresh out on ideas and the person I'm going through all this trouble for couldn't find a better time to bail on me. Unexpectedly, I had a crazy idea. Simple but crazy in the sense that I could get in trouble for this.

"Come with me," I told Laila as I took hold of her hand.

"What?"

I dragged her along towards the car, opened the door to the backseat.

"Get in."

"What? Why?" She queried, worry and confusion detailed on her face, in her voice.

"Please just get in." I urged as I gave her a little push and she succumbed. I jumped in as well and shut the door afterwards. Uncle Shola spared us a glance through the rear-view mirror.

"Laila, isn't your mum coming to pick you up?" He interrogated and she glanced my side, giving me deathly glares. I knew I needed to respond on her behalf.

"She will but she's going to be late so... we need to go somewhere."

"Somewhere?" He inquired.

"Yes, we..."

My gaze fell on Bayo seated beside Laila, I felt a wave of anger wash over me. "Where have you been?"

"Huh?"

"What?"

Both Uncle Shola and Laila questioned in confusion. I shook my head at both of them.

"No, nothing." I was quick to put them out of their confusion. They gaped at me a little different. I could see the distress in their eyes.

"I'm fine. Uncle Shola, please would you take us to this hospital?" I handed him the paper in which the address was written on.

"A classmate was involved in an accident and we would like to pay him a visit and please, you cannot tell this to anyone in the family," I warned but the moment I saw him sigh and look up to me, I knew nothing positive was coming next.

"Rida, this is nice of you but... I was asked to bring you straight home."

"Yes, you'll do that. We'll be really quick. Rush right in and hurry back out, right Laila?" I called for her backup and she nodded quickly with a smile. He looked from her and back to me. He hesitated for a while but in the end, he nodded before turning away to start the car.

Laila limited me another death glare once I leaned back in my seat.

I threw my arm around her neck, bringing her closer for a bright hug. "You're the best best friend ever." I praised in the fullest smile and she shrugged a bit but I held on tighter.

I spared Bayo a frown. I couldn't say another word to him, not when Laila and Uncle Shola are present. Who knows how they would react this time.

"Okay, that's his room. Now what?" Laila raised a question once we were at the end of the hallway and she pointed out the room number his friends had shared with her.

A sigh left my lips. I felt rather burdened and uncomfortable with what I was about to do.

"That should be her," Laila remarked and we watched as a  middle-aged woman stepped out of the room. Thankfully, she walked advanced in our direction. Her steps were light but her movement relatively heavy for her. Her face said it all. She was under a lot of stress. Bayo looked a lot like her.

Laila nudged at my arm and I looked at her. She gestured for me to go after the woman. I didn't know if I could or if I should. I mean...

I sighted Bayo on the other side of where we stood. His eyes pleaded and my unusual guilt weighed on me once more. Gosh, I shouldn't be doing this. WAEC is in two weeks. As I gazed longer at him, the pleading in his eyes got stronger and the pressure weighed on me.

"Fine," I muttered under my breath before taking steps forward, hindering her path. Laila followed behind.

"Good evening ma. We're Bayo's classmates."