Chapter Twenty-One

Luke's POV:

I ran into the kitchen with North chasing me. I knew I couldn't escape and he'd beat me in a physical fight any day of the week.

I looked around, my eyes landing on a wooden beam which I proceeded to climb.

"What the fuck, Luke?" My little brother bellowed, standing underneath me. "No, don't fucking climb that!"

I just stuck my tongue out at him and he pursed his lips, his eyes surveying the room and landing on the skirting board.

Oh, fuck no, that was my best hiding spot...

He pushed the loose piece of wood aside and pulled out my candy bag. He glared at me and walked silently out the door. I heard him rejoin the meeting, but I stayed up in the rafters until everybody started dispersing from the meeting.

I would be overlooked now, good.

I clambered down and pulled on my trainers and a coat, slipping out of the front door quietly.

I needed a new candy stash, and this time I would find an even better hiding place.

____________________________________________

Sang's POV:

The sound of the belt buckle whistling through the air.

The dull thud as it lands across my back, and the sharp sting that follows.

The cruel words that cut through the air, and my screams that drown them out.

The scene morphs, and I'm tied up in the shower, scalding water burning me until I burst into flames, then cold water, cooling me until I can see ice forming across my skin, burning me in a whole different way.

Down on my knees in the kitchen, kneeling on rice and shards of glass.

"Sang!"

The burn of the lemon juice and vinegar.

A smack across the face for throwing it up, the force making me bite my tongue, the bitter taste flooding my senses.

"Sang! Fuck, Doc, she's bleeding!"

The coppery taste of blood.

The red stains as it pools around me.

Faces flickering in the shiny surface. Rocky. Mother. Dad. Marie.

Screaming. I'm screaming.

"Sang! Please, Pookie, wake up!"

I'm screaming.

The taste of blood still fills my mouth and I scramble backwards, away from the presences in front of me, my eyes squeezed tightly shut.

My screams taper out into sobs as I hold my hands out to block my face.

"Sang, deep breaths, Pookie, you're okay, it's Sean, deep breaths, breathe with me."

The voice breaks through the fog of terror in my mind, and I choke in a breath, letting it out again in a short cry as my chest burns.

"That's it, keep going, deep breaths, you're okay."

My hands lower slightly as I keep breathing, and I hear movement and whispers, followed by footsteps leaving the room. The air suddenly gets a lot easier to take in, I lower my hands the rest of the way, opening my eyes slowly to see Dr Sean kneeling beside me.

His eyes were concerned, but he had his familiar smile on his face as he continued to coax my breathing back to normal.

Mr Blackborne stood just behind him, wearing a grey t-shirt and some black pyjama pants. It reminded me of where I was. I'd been rescued, I was safe, I wasn't there, and I never would be again.

I wince at the stinging pain in my mouth and bring my hand up to touch it. I let out a pained whine when my finger comes back bloody, but I wipe the fluid away on a tissue Sean hands to me.

His hand comes up to angle my chin towards him, but I dart away in anticipation of pain, my head thumping into the wooden headboard behind me, which causes his eyes to widen in horror.

"Sorry, Pookie." He says, raising his hands into the universal 'surrender' sign, and waiting for me to take another deep breath, moving away from the headboard.

"Can I take a look?" This time he waits for me to nod my head before slowly grasping my chin and gently opening my mouth so he can examine my wound.

"You bit it good." He concludes, letting me go with a gentle brush of his fingers along my cheek. "But it'll heal, don't worry, but no hot food today Pookie, I'm sorry." He gives me a wink and Mr Blackbourne steps forwards to join him.

"Are you feeling better, Lovie?" He inquires, his eyes automatically gliding over me, checking for injuries he knows he won't find.

I nod, suddenly remembering something.

"North was yelling, is he okay?" Talking hurts my tongue, so I stop and wait for an answer.

"He's okay, he was worried about you Pookie." Dr Sean explains, placing a hand over where mine lies on the bed, using his thumb to rub comforting circles into my palm.

I hear a creak, and I smile tiredly, reaching for the glass of water that Mr Blackbourne wordlessly hands to me.

"They're all outside, aren't they," I say, turning my head to watch the door as it opens and all seven of the boys come filing into my bedroom, wearing pyjamas in various colours with wide, troubled eyes.

"Are you okay, Aggele?" Silas asks, his brow furrowed. It's not a good look on him, and I reach out a hand to smooth it out, everyone relaxing when I nod.

"I'm sorry for waking you all," I say, feeling guilty. They all look so tired, and Dr Sean's just had a 12-hour shift.

Victor shakes his head. "Don't apologise, Princess. It's not your fault." I still feel bad, but I haven't got enough energy to argue with him. He must notice me suppressing a yawn because he smirks a little bit as he resumes his sentence. "What do you think about seeing if you can get some more sleep?"

I nod, but then hesitate and shake my head. "I don't want to be alone," I murmur, hoping that they don't hear me, but of course, they do.

They look at each other, debating between themselves until Kota chuckles and rolls into bed next to me, holding out his arms for me to wriggle into and I do gratefully.

I hum my thanks, burying my head into Kota's shoulder and a light swell of laughter ripples around the room, but my eyes are already closing.

I fall asleep before I hear them leave the room, and somehow it makes me feel safer.