One

Getting a tiny knee to the groin was definitely not the way that Bucky wanted to be woken up. Neither was being headbutted by a toddler's skull. But it sure did the trick. Bringing him directly out of pleasant dreamless sleep and into reality. Only managing to catch Noah a second before the toddler could fall off the edge of the king size bed.

Blinking himself awake, Bucky was greeted with Noah, Maisie, and Steve standing around the bed wearing different brightly colored and polka-dotted birthday party hats. With Hugh in the carrier on his chest, Steve in a blue and purple hat held a banner decorated with scribbles and drawings from Noah and Maisie that read: Happy Birthday, Daddy!

"What's all this?" Bucky rasped, carefully moving until he was sitting up against the headboard.

Maisie pushed the wheeled tray over to the bed, causing the bond to flare with unease from both sides at watching the four year old carelessly bump the tray against the end table. The frame with all of them at the hospital -- their first family portrait -- teetered, and Bucky was torn between catching the frame or the glass of apple juice on the tray. He chose the juice.

When the tray bumped into the side of the bed, Bucky grabbed onto it to steady it. Only then did the bond settle to the usual contentedness. Tucking his messy long brown hair behind his ears, Bucky looked over the breakfast. Short stack of uneven, oddly shaped pancakes ranging from an assortment of different colors, topped with fresh berries and whipped cream. On a separate, smaller plate, there were slices of turkey bacon crisped to perfection, if not a little burnt around the edges. But the item that Bucky reached for first was the mug of cinnamon roll coffee.

Smiling, Bucky pulled both of the toddlers close to his frame to hug them as he said, "Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted!"

"Happy birthday, daddy," Maisie exclaimed, kissing his cheek.

"Happy birf-day, daddy," Noah repeated, also kissing Bucky's cheek. Currently, Noah was in the copy-cat phase, and boy did it make visits with potty-mouth Auntie Becks a fun time.

Next was Steve, who leaned over to give Bucky a sweet kiss that always managed to settle deep in his bones. When he pulled back, he said, "Happy birthday, babe."

"Thank you," Bucky grinned, running his fingers along the stubble on Steve's jaw before kissing the top of Hugh's head. Stroking the soft, thick brown hair that always stuck up in random directions, no matter what Bucky tried to do with it.

As the pups ran off to go play, Steve sat down in the cushioned rocking chair. Stroking his hand in soothing circles along Hugh's back in the carrier, marking the baby with his scent, Steve contently closed his eyes. Bucky wheeled the tray even closer and picked up the silverware.

Around a mouthful of fluffy pancake, Bucky gleefully closed his eyes at the delicious taste that burst on his taste buds. Although it wasn't the prettiest, it tasted better than any other birthday breakfast he had. Sure, that had been years ago -- six years to be exact -- but Bucky knew that it was the best. And what made it even better was that Steve had taken the time to make it.

"Is the kitchen a disaster?" Bucky teased, spearing another piece of the fluffy, green, orange, and purple pancakes.

Amusement trickled through the bond as a smile tugged at Steve's lips, "Only a little." Still scent-marking their son, Steve opened his eyes to reassure Bucky, "I'll clean it up later."

The pair settled into a comfortable silence, enjoying the tranquility that flowed through the bond from both of them being satisfied. These were some of the moments that Bucky loved the most. Just being. With their pups and Steve happy, it was only natural for Bucky to be happy too.