Two

Laying down Hugh in his crib for his afternoon nap, Bucky wound the elephant mobile and hummed along with the tinkering music of Baby Mine. Stroking his wrist along Hugh's cheek to scent-mark the infant as he made sure the monitor was on, and left the office-turned-nursery. Quietly walking down the hallway to the pups' rooms to find the pair sleeping in Maisie's bed, hand-in-hand.

Bucky knew that they were still adjusting to this new way of life, just like he was. And sometimes, Bucky wondered if they should move them into one room. But then he remembered when they had asked the toddlers if they wanted to share a room or have their own, how they had jumped at the opportunity for independence.

Easing the door shut, Bucky climbed down the grand staircase to the main level of the house. On his way to the larger kitchen, Bucky straightened the frame of their official first family portrait, the one taken by Steve's photographer best friend, Natasha, and fluffed purple throw cushions on the new gray sofa that was really more for show than anything else. Just little things that helped Bucky believe that this was his house, too. Especially when his mind screamed at him to not mess up Steve's house the way he wasn't allowed to mess up Brock's apartment.

"This is your home now," Steve had told them the first day that they had arrived three days after Hugh was born.

Giving them a tour as he asked which rooms Maisie and Noah would want. Allowing Bucky to choose if he wanted to share a room or have one of the other five bedrooms. Even offering to turn the ground floor into an apartment for them, if Bucky wanted it. Warning the pups about the indoor pool in the basement and how they were never allowed down there without either him or Bucky, while also triple checking that the door was locked. Reminding them that they had full reign of the rest of the house -- even the fancy cinema where Steve had monthly movie nights -- as he solidified, "This is your home now."

This is your home, Bucky reminded himself as he opened the fridge and pulled out sandwich items.

Steve hadn't just been blowing smoke up his ass either, he had meant it when he said that this was their home. Allowing the pups to pick out furniture and bedding and toys -- so many toys. More toys than they knew what to do with. Everything they saw, they wanted, and thanks to Steve and his very successful career, they had it. If Bucky didn't know better, he would've been suspicious of Steve buying their love.

With Bucky, Steve had given him full reign of the house and gave him full support with remodeling. Wanting his house to be their home. Although at first, Bucky had been hesitant, he eventually gave in. First, deciding on more comfortable furniture. It was more than obvious that when Steve had first bought the brownstone, he allowed a decorator to do whatever they wanted with the house.

Meanwhile, the first thing that Steve did was to turn the ground floor into the kiddie floor. Stocking the smaller kitchen on that floor with snacks and juices. Agreeing to the large sectional sofa that just swallowed them up whenever they sat on it and was perfect for nesting and naps, in the family room. Turning that formal living room into a pup's dream by making it an indoor playground. A rock-climbing wall on one side with a pit of soft foam in case they fell. Two clubhouses on opposite ends of the room, connected by a bridge. A slide connected to the clubhouse on the left. Not to mention the swings on either of the clubhouses.

To say that Steve went overboard, would've been an understatement. But it was for the pups, and Bucky just couldn't say no. Neither could Sharon, who designed and overlooked the construction of the play equipment.

The second choice that Bucky had made was to turn the office next to the master suite into the nursery. At first, Bucky was sure that Steve would need a lot more convincing. But he was pleasantly surprised when, after a four o'clock feeding, Steve had readily agreed that he wanted the baby close. It was really as simple as that.