1

Ouch. Well, I guess that's what I get for coming home after curfew. It wasn't that bad this time. It would probably only leave some bruises on my ribs. At least those were easy to cover up.

After May had left, beer still in hand, I picked myself off of the dirty wood floor with a slight wince. Thank god it's a Monday tomorrow, I thought sarcastically as I stumbled up the stairs. As I walked into the closet, my stomach growled at me. Shit. The bruises were going to take a little longer to heal because I hadn't eaten a lot recently. I guess May forgot to bring home something since she usually eats at work. It's okay, though, I'm used to it. My body, however, is still complaining about not eating for a week. I think I'll be fine. I mean, Ghandi did it for three weeks, why shouldn't I be able to do it for one?

I turned towards the mirror hanging on the inside of the door and lifted my shirt to asses the damage. I saw old and new bruises, as I suspected, and you could probably feel the bones of my ribs through the shirt. No wonder why no one wanted me. I was just a poor, skinny, ugly, inconsiderate, stupid boy. At least, that's what May and the kids at school say. I've learned to come to terms with it, though. Accept who I am.

I sigh and lay down on my 'bed'. It was just a pillow and blanket on the floor, but I didn't deserve a bed, as May said. I close my eyes and let sleep take me away, only to be welcomed by the screams of my mom.

"Mom! Mom! Where are you? I can get you out!" I yelled into the burning house. I sprinted through the hallways, searching for her, until I heard a whimper from the guest bedroom. "Mom!?" I lunged towards the door, kicking it down as tears rolled down my face.

"Peter?" She lifted her head from under the burning pile of rubble. Her eyes watering from the heat, coughing from the smoke. "Peter!"

"Mom! I'm here! I'll get you out!" I screamed as I picked up a piece of rubble, trying to get her out. I screamed in pain and dropped the scolding hot thing.

"Peter, no! Get out of here! It's okay!"

"No! Mom! I can't leave you!"

"Honey, it's okay, I love y-" The rubble fell and engulfed her.

"Mom! NO!" I shrieked at the top of my lungs as a fireman pulled me out of the building.

I was pulled out of my nightmare with a smack to the head. That was going to leave a mark. I looked up at an enraged Aunt May.

"Shut the fuck up!" she hissed. "Don't you know how tired I am? I have an alarm clock for a reason!"

I glanced at my phone to check the time. 6:00. Shit. She grabbed me and forced me to my feet. "No use in going back to sleep now, eh? Might as well teach you a lesson for screaming at six in the fucking morning."

Pushing me against the hallway wall, she drove her closed fist into my face. She moved on to my stomach, hitting the bruises over and over again, making me double over in pain. She kneed my face, as it was so perfectly positioned, and then just left. Grateful, I stayed there, trying to catch my breath. Suddenly, my spider senses went crazy. Knowing it would only make her more mad if I dodged, I stayed put. I gasped in surprise as I felt shards of glass embed themselves into my shoulder. Still doubled over, I felt tears running down my face. That was definitely not good. She grabbed my throat, forcing my head up.

"You're weak."

On that happy note, she released me from her grasp and walked over to the fridge to get another beer.

Ouch.

668 words