Chapter 1: Daughter to a Demon

~

What a day the two gardeners of the Phantomhive Manor had had. What a painfully long and tiresome day.

Their orders for the day were to plant the knew shipping of flowers that had been brought into the estate from the other side of the country, and for some strange reason there was close to a thousand separate flowers. What motive Lord Phantomhive had for having so many flowers in his estate's garden was left a mystery, and his two gardeners were to suffer in the English heat as they worked against their will.

Now that it was sundown, they'd decided to take a break, considering they had so little energy and so little flowers left to plant. Who was 'they', you ask? Their names were Finnian and (Y/n).

With an unnecessarily loud sigh shared between the two of them, they flopped onto a nearby bench, and took a moment to gather themselves. They rested even though they knew that they weren't supposed to on account of the consequences that would follow for taking an unscheduled break. These consequences would be provided by the Head Butler, (Y/n)'s father, Sebastian Michaelis. And (Y/n) knew that just because she was his daughter, he wouldn't go any easier on her.

"Man...I'm beat. And we're not even done yet," Finny whined in his thick british accent as he wiped the sweat from his forehead in a single swift movement.
"I'm still baffled as to why the Young Master had so many flowers shipped to the manor, it's almost as if he has a death wish to us," (Y/n) sighed in her slightly more formal accent as she slowly stretched her arms out in front of herself before letting them simply fall onto the wooden table before her, "While they are a rather beautiful touch to the garden, they are also much too much work in my opinion."
"Yeah...and just think about the maintenance as well. We'll get halfway through watering them all and we'll drop dead," Finny joked in a worn out voice, leaning back against the table as he let his hand fall over his face.

(Y/n) thought about that statement. While she knew it was simply a joke, she couldn't help but think about how ironic that was, considering the fact that she was a demon and demon's simply couldn't just 'drop dead'. But you'd also think that if she's a demon, she'd be more than capable of taking care of a garden as large as the one they were in the process of making. That was incorrect. (Y/n) was only young, and was still trying to get a hold of her own powers. While she was graceful, and talented, like her father, big projects such as the garden were a bit overwhelming for her powers.

"Well, we better get back to work. If father catches us, he'll give us hell-"

"And it is hell you are about to receive."

(Y/n) and Finnian whipped their heads around violently upon hearing a voice with a statement that they wish they hadn't. Standing by one of the doors to the Manor was the Head Butler, Sebastian Michaelis, looking as if he hadn't done a single second of work. But (Y/n) knew he had, he was just efficient that way. Upon his face was a rather stern look, he very much disliked seeing servants slack off, especially when it was his daughter, whom he had very high expectations of. But what he didn't understand was that they had done honest work, and very much deserved a break.

"You're supposed to be planting the last of the new shipment of flowers, yet what I've come to find is that the two of you have skived off that last duty and it seems that you seek to circumvent it," He said in a serious tone as he approached the two, slowly, intimidatingly, before he stopped in front of them and crossed his arms, "I do wish for an explanation if you have one."

(Y/n) would be lying if she said she wasn't intimidated by her father. Just because she, herself was a demon, it didn't mean she didn't feel threatened whenever he gave her that closed eyed smirk, or when he glared daggers at her. Because not only was he superior in terms of status, but he was also superior in terms of power.