Chapter 5: Disobedience

A/N: so I've been using he/him pronouns for Grell, and I just wanted to apologize since I know she's a trans woman. I only used he/him pronouns because those were the pronouns used by other characters in the actual manga and anime, but in order to be respectful to the LGBTQ+ community I will from mid-way through this chapter be referring to Grell with she/her pronouns because that's what she deserves and I will give her no less because of how wonderful a character she is. Anywho, enjoy!

The crowd roared with cheerful laughter and singing, though how couldn't it when the atmosphere of the pub was so lively? There wasn't a single crestfallen soul to be seen, just jolly drunks, musicians and the rest of those people that were simply having a good time. Ronald sat in a booth with his two lady friends, Artemis and Juliet, who had had their fair share of drinks and were now cuddled up very close to each other. It was no secret that the two women were lovers, not to Ronald anyways, considering two people of the same gender dating was frowned upon in those times. The blonde reaper never saw any issue with it, if you love someone, why should their gender be of any matter? Really it's about what's on the inside. But he wasn't about to start a fight with the entire world against him and the two ladies, so he bit his tongue when someone made a comment about the matter. 

"Ey, that's one long face."

Ronald was pulled from his thoughts at the sound of his coworker's voice, looking from the table to her face as he recognized it as Artemis's. She had Juliet leaning into her neck, the blonde woman's eyes closed yet she still had a beer in her hand. As for Arty's drink situation, the brunette held her current beer as well, but had many glass cups sitting on the table in front of her, since she really did like her beer. 

"What's got you down, Ronnie?" She finished, the man sighing as he leaned back in his chair and placed his own beer onto the table before him.
"I'm not down, I just...can't stop thinking about her," he admitted, Artemis cocking her brow as she took a short sip of her beverage and licked the foam that formed on her upper lip.
"What, your lady friend?" She asked, Ronald nodding as the woman continued, "why didn't you invite her out with us?"
"You know why. If anyone else catches wind of who I'm seeing then I'm as good as dead," he sighed, picking his beer up once again but making a face of slight realization, "...again, anyways."
"No one from the dispatch ever comes out here, you wouldn't have anything to worry about," Arty reassured him, swirling the golden liquid in her cup around which caused it to fizz up a little, "Why don't you ask her to come out with us next time?" 
"I'm not sure if I wanna risk it, for both my sake and hers," he admitted, sipping on his cup of beer as he rested his elbow on the table and then his face in his hand.
"That's real noble of ya, buddy. But we will get to meet her eventually, won't we?" Artemis asked, a slight slur to her voice.
Ronald looked up with a sweet smile, nodding as he placed his beer back onto the table.
"Of course Arty, as long as you don't tell on me," He answered, the woman snickering as she pulled her own lady a little closer to her from around the waist. 
"Your secret's safe as long as ours is," she whispered, Ronald chuckling quietly as the two of them settled down and simply enjoyed the night as it was.

~

"(Y/n), what is this?"

The little lady called upon looked up from her work at the servants dining table, that work being cutting off bits of the succulents that sat around the manor to multiply them so that there would be more. She was alone, and because of that she was quite startled when someone called her name, herself spinning around toward the direction of the voice to discover that it was her father Sebastian who had asked her a question.