Chapter 14

Marinette and Luka sat in silence, as Sophie explained everything about the situation they had gotten themselves in. Keefe expected them to bombard the two of them with questions, but they never came. They had been sitting there in Marinette's room for at least an hour now. Orange and pink streaks painted the sky as the sun began to droop near the horizon.

Sophie's eyes glowed in the evening colors as she looked at both Marinette and Luka one last time, asking them the first question since she'd began explaining, "Can you handle this? Each of you? I know it's a lot to take in... I won't blame you if you want out. I don't want to drag more people into this than I have to..."

Luka looked at Marinette, letting her make the call. "I'm in," she said, a newfound determination rimming her bluebell eyes.

"Then I'm in as well," Luka finished. Keefe noticed the way he placed a hand on Marinette's shoulder and tried to not think about what that meant. Now wasn't the time for that.

"So... what's next?" Keefe asked, ending the suffocating silence. "I might not fully remember you, Foster, but you strike me as the type of person who always has a plan." He winked at her, but her eyebrows only drew closer together in worry.

"Now... we find your mom, we find Adrien, we get the rest of your memories back, we take down the Pappillon, we take down the Neverseen, and we find a way to get back to the Lost Cities. Piece of cake." Sarcasm was laced thickly in her voice, but through the sarcasm Keefe could feel how stressed she was starting to feel.

"Hey," he said, grabbing Sophie's hand and sending a soft blue breeze into her mind like he'd learned, "we're going to figure this out. I've gotten most of my memories back, and that's a big step, right?"

"Yeah, I guess... but there's still so much more, Keefe... I'm not sure if we can handle it."

"Sure we can, Foster! We've got this! We need a team name, I think Team Foster-Keefe will do!"

Sophie's face flared with recognition. "You used to call us that, Keefe..."

"Really? Past-me is a genius! So what do you say? Team Foster-Keefe for the-"

"What about team Foster-Keefe-Lukanette?" Luka suggested, reminding Keefe that they were still there.

"Well, that doesn't have the same ring to it... but maybe team Lukakeefosternette? Or Keefosterlukanette, so I get to be first!" Keefe suggested.

"Enough with the team names, guys," Marinette interrupted, "we have more important things to worry about."

"Like that?" Luka's eyebrows arched as he pointed over Keefe and Sophie's shoulders to the window, where a blurred figure was running along the rooftops of Paris.

The four of them raced to the window to get a better look. Right as they made it over there, the figure spun towards them, revealing a boy with dark hair and a pair of all too familiar teal eyes.

Fitz.

But... there was something different. His normally bright teal eyes were darkened, and there was an anger even Keefe had never seen before in his eyes. Fitz was known to get angry at times, but this was different. His Elvin clothes were tarnished and torn in places, and when he spotted Sophie and Keefe on the roof of Marinette's room, he sneered. That's when it dawned on him.

Fitz had been akumatized.

Sophie seemed to realize it as she grabbed Keefe's hand, staring in horror at the ruined boy before them.

"Are you really going to have to fight your best-"

"HOW DARE YOU LIE TO ME!" Fitz's booming voice cut her off, an eerie silence with it.