Chapter 2: Ace

Annabeth took us north, away from our home. I didn't like the fact we're trusting a total stranger to help us but what other choice did we have?

We had been on the road for a few hours and Elijah was still knocked out. I was hoping we could get him a doctor and soon. I didn't know how much longer he may have. He has been out for a while and we still don't know how, when, or why.

It was concerning, to say the least.

I've seen those creatures before. I avoided them, but to this day, no one knows I've seen them. I thought I was just crazy, but as it turns out, I'm not crazy. All of the people in this car are crazy. Or maybe we're the only sane people and everyone else was crazy. None of the other school kids saw Elijah turn into the snake woman. Just Mia and myself. I suppose Ethan and the real Elijah must have seen them since they're with us.

It makes me wonder what the school kids saw then...

We were all pretty shaken. I couldn't stop thinking about Elijah turning into the snake woman and coming at us like we were dinner. I think Mia was the most shaken out of all of us. She had been ignoring everyone, which was her way of saying she didn't want to talk, and if Mia didn't want to talk, something SERIOUS was happening. For example, her boyfriend just turned into a snake lady.

Annabeth seemed calm, despite everything that just happened. I tried to stay calm on the outside but inside, I was freaking out. Perhaps Annabeth was doing the exact same thing. I hoped not because if she was freaking out, then whatever happened must have not been good.

Calm, I told myself. You're safe for now.

For now. That was all anyone could guarantee.

"So, I suppose you all want to know what's going on?" Annabeth asked, checking her rearview mirror. She switched lanes as we nodded. "Well, I assume you know about the Greek gods, you should since we've been learning about them-- I say that under the assumption you were actually paying attention."

She stays silent for a few minutes before getting off the highway and onto a dirt road. Nobody said a word, not wanting to distract Annabeth.

I was laughing on the inside. I was paying attention but the other three, I couldn't speak for them. Who knows if they actually learned anything! To think something I learned for fun actually came in handy. This is why you learn, folks!

Finally, she continued, "The gods and goddess you have been learning about, are real. Every single one of them and even their Roman forms, but that's beside the point. The point is, the gods are real and the affairs they have with mortals are real, too."

Again, she was silent. Annabeth let that sink in while she made a few sharp turns. Rain began to pour and Annabeth looked even more worried. She kept checking behind us and all around us. Something was bothering her.

Annabeth rushed through the next bit and picked up her driving speed, "The children of these gods and mortals are known as demigods. I am a demigod, child of Athena. I'm going to bring you to a place where demigods live in harmony, safely. When I bring you there, your godly parent will likely claim you immediately or in a few weeks. I'm guessing you're all demigods because--"

She was cut off when the car unexpectedly started to swerve. The car hit the mountains and rocks fell from the sky. Annabeth did her best to dodge the rocks when they were slammed into the mountainside again.

"GET OUT AND RUN TO THE HILL!" Annabeth roared as she leaped out of the car.

Mia crawled out through the driver's side and Ethan and I got out on his side. I hit the ground and began running. I saw a hill and a sign I couldn't read, but I wasn't sure if it was because of my panic or my dyslexia. Probably both.

Then I remembered Elijah was still unconscious in the back of the car. I turned around and saw Mia running toward me. Annabeth had Elijah in her arms and had apparently given her dagger to Ethan. Ethan was walking back slowly, occasionally swiping at something.

I wanted to help but wasn't sure how.

Just then, a tall man with dark hair and sea-green eyes ran toward Ethan. He slashed at something I couldn't see.

"Keep running!" Annabeth called out, slightly out of breath.

I was frozen for a few moments before taking off again. I ran toward the hill, praying everyone else was safe. I could hear Mia and Annabeth running behind me, breathing heavily. My heart pounded against my chest and all I could think was, run.

I reached the top of the hill and saw many buildings. I just ran down toward them. People were rushing toward the hill in a hurry. One guy took Elijah from Annabeth and she turned around and went back down the hill.

Mia and I just stood there until a boy grabbed our hands and brought us toward one of the larger houses. I was fine being taken anywhere right now, I was exhausted. I wanted to sleep in my bed at home. My nice, warm comfy bed, mind you.

As soon as we got to the house, a centaur said a few things but all I could remember was lying down and letting sleep overcome me.