"You'll be just fine." (Prologue)

"Tobio, do you want to play that?"

The young boy glanced up at his mother as she continued to pat his head, a kind smile forming on her gentle face. He turned his attention to the TV, eyes sparkling when the ball was set up high for the spiker. Tobio watched it like it was in slow motion. He can feel the intensity of the match through the screen, it was as if he was with the crowd cheering the team on. He smiled brightly and looked back up to his mother.

"I want to play volleyball, Mom! I want to play just like him!"

He excitedly pointed at the man who was the setter of the team, the camera zooming in coincidentally. He talked and talked and went on and on, blabbering on how he will be just like him, probably be even better in the future. The young boy bounced in his seat in ecstatic, not noticing that his mother stood up until he heard a man's voice.

"Absolutely not, he will not waste his time in some stupid sport that will get him no where in life."

His mother stood in a defensive way, her body creating a barricade from the man and from the child. Her gaze hardening.

"He can do what he wants, he is a child and he deserves freedom." She stated strongly, but she faltered when the man stepped forward intimidatingly, his hand clenching.

"I am his father and he is my son, I OWN him."

"I am his mother and he is my son as well, but I will not allow you to have your way with him nor will I allow you to hurt him."

The gap was now closed between the man and the woman, a suffocating atmosphere filled the room. Tobio's father was now directly in front of his mother, his eyes burning with hate.

"M-mom?"

The poor child was forgotten for awhile, he flinched when he saw his father turned his loathsome gaze towards him. He trembled in fear, he felt like an insect under his father's piercing stare. His mother stepped in, a forced smile made a slight feeling of reassurance for the boy.

"Tobio, why don't you go up to your room? I'll call you when dinner is ready."

The child oblige, obediently standing up and hurriedly climbed up the stares, knowing fully well what comes up next. Before closing his bedroom door, he looked at his mother with worry, she smiled back at him and he closed the door.

The second when he let go of the doorknob, screaming and yelling exploded downstairs. He jumped back and ran to his bed, hiding under the blue blanket and pillow. He quivered in his place, shutting his eyes tightly and covering his ears as an effort to block the noises. He cried and sobbed, rocking back and forth to calm himself down. He felt defenseless and vulnerable.

Before he realized it, the screams subsided and his mother was now soothingly rubbing his back. Her arms and legs littered with bandages, her old scars were replaced with new ones. She hummed a sweet tune, calming her son down. Tobio sniffled, his mother running her fingers through his hair.

"I made your favorite for dinner." She said, trying to lighten the mood. Her son looked up from her lap, snot and tears running down in his face. She laughed and wiped his face using her shirt, telling him that he'll be just fine.

"Yes.." The mother thought, picking up her son and going down stairs.

"He'll be just fine.."

Her thoughts were cut off short when she heard an engine rumble. She glanced at the window, still carrying her child and watch as a car drove away.

"Damn bastard going out drinking again.." She clicked her tongue in annoyance, walking away from the window and to the dinner table to set her son down to eat.