Chapter 3

"Man, I woke up a bit too really, the gym is probably still closed."

Hinata kicked a pebble to the side, pouting slightly. He turned around and was about to walk under a tree until he stopped when he thought he heard a sound.

"rrrrraaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!"

A gust of wind went passed a confused Hinata, causing him to stop and cover his eyes from the dust. He blinked and looked ahead before sprinting after the person.

"KAGEYAMA YOU CHEATEEERRRRR!!!"

The duo were now head on and practically dived in front of the club room door, both simultaneously landing with a heavy thud.

"Dammit, another tie!" Kageyama panted, he laid sprawled in the floor not even bothering to spare a glance at Hinata.

"How long is this tie going to last!?" Hinata panted, wiping his sweat and was kneeling beside the setter. The raven shrugged and continued to lay at the floor. The two properly stood up and dusted themselves when they heard the jingle of the keys and the voices of their team. Daichi arrived first, the other members following suite. The captain laughed when he saw the two first years standing together and shook his head as he opened the door, complimenting them on how they seem to have endless energy.

The team began practice smoothly and with no problems. It was like everyday, nothing out of the ordinary and the same drills. No one seemed to remember what happened the other day and they meant to keep it that way. Well, until Kageyama brought it up on his own.

"Uhm..I have something to say to you guys.." Kageyama said quietly, shocked when Asahi heard him and called the others to pay attention. Daichi and Suga approached him happily, the others coming together as well.

"Is there something you need to say Kageyama?" Suga places his hands on his waist, putting most of his weight to his left leg, a carefree smile was plastered on his face.

"I-uhm.." Kageyama started to fidget with his shirt, the words he specifically thought of just dissipating as his heart hammered in his chest. But despite of his childish actions, the team patiently waited for him to start speaking, they have no right to judge, after all, that's how they mostly react when they're about to start a report in class.

"A-about yesterday.." Kageyama's voice faltered when he saw his team's faces drop, the atmosphere changing. Tsukishima was about to interrupt, about to blame himself when Tanaka stopped him, allowing the other first year to continue.

"I...uhm..I want you guys--"

"Don't worry Kags, we'll keep our mouths shut. Don't worry. " Daichi smiled reassuringly. Even though that wasn't what Kageyama was about to say he nodded.

"Yeah, thanks, but also another thing."

the team tilted their head, waiting for Kageyama to properly correct himself.

"I..want to tell you guys my story. Later at afternoon practice..I want you to know...because I trust you guys."

The team went silent, eyes widened with shock. Kageyama rubbed his neck awkwardly, slightly embarrassed on how cheesy it sounded. He snapped his head up when he started hearing sniffing.

Tanaka and Noya pushed the others aside and crushed Kageyama in a hug, sobbing and saying sentences he couldn't make out. Before Kageyama even realized it, the others followed and surrounded the youngest in a group hug, Tsukishima standing idly until Yamaguchi pulled him in.

"We'll always be there for you if you need us!"

"Kags, remember that your senpais would protect you until the day we die!"

"Ok stop it you two, you're crushing him." Narita chuckled, pulling Tanaka and Noya away from Kageyama. Daichi laughed, but even he was moved by the younger and nodded at his team. He clapped his hands and told them to clean up and get ready for the day. Ordering them to arrive early in the afternoon and to swear they won't tell a soul to others about Kageyama's situation. He also told the latter that the principal made adjustments to the questions and apologized for not realizing some students might have gone through a tough time like him. The younger setter was beyond grateful.

The whole day was going swell, it's as if it's saying it was a good day and it was. Though, he thinks that it's just going his way since he's going tell his team later about his secret and it wont be easy, so mother nature just said "take it easy for today son."
Well whatever the reason was, he was glad it was going well. Before he even knew it, it was already club time and everyone arrived at the gym on time, Coach Ukai arriving but not Takeda, he was at a meeting.

The team sat in a circle waiting for Kageyama to began his story. He took a breath and exhaled, smiling a sweet smile at his team, which they weren't really prepared for.

"So were do you guys want me to start?"

"At the very beginning, duh! We want to get every single detail."

Kageyama nodded his head to Tanaka and begin his story. It all started normally, not much of a hype until he reached to the point on how he was treated poorly by his father. There was some threats from the others when he told his mother's situation but oh boy, nothing prepared him when he felt the hate from his team's auras. They all wore a disgusted face, at some moments, they would click their tongues and would comment on how inhuman his father's actions were, and honestly, he silently agreed with them.
Now it was time for the climax, it's time to tell them the truth.

"I guess my mother reached her breaking point when I was only around six. She said she was tired of fighting and I didn't really know what it meant until I became much older. You can say it left a bitter taste in my tongue when I finally knew what she meant."

Kageyama paused, trying to calm his raging emotions that was threatening to spill from his eyes. He bit his lip and it was relieving when he felt Ukai's comforting touch on his shoulder. The coach considered shortening the practice hours for now to let Kageyama share. He was reluctant and at first, disagreed, but he knew that this was the moment Kageyama awaited for, and he has no intention to be the evil adult to take it away. Besides, he too loathed the father who hurted such a good hearted boy, though most of the time he doesn't act that way.

Suga urged the other setter to continue speaking, smiling warmly at him to bring reassurance. Unfortunately, it reminded him of Kayaka, which reminded him of his mother. Kageyama couldn't help himself but burst into tears, rubbing his eyes helplessly as he tried to suppress his emotions again but to no avail. However, the team knew that he would have a meltdown like this and didn't comment about his reaction, instead, they said it was alright for him to cry. This brought great comfort to the raven and he finally calmed down and allowed himself to speak more clearly again. The next sentence he muttered however, caught the team off guard.

"I'm sorry that I lied to you guys."

Kageyama looked at his team with a solemn expression. His dark blue irises glistened with tears and a sad yet a genuine smile made its way to his lips.

"I don't have a mother."

The team's confused faces slowly contorted into shocked expressions. They watched as Kageyama's tears slipped out of his eyes, yet the first year didn't made any effort to wipe them away this time.

"Well, not anymore that is." He chuckled, his head bowed and his eyes fixated to the floor, not wanting to see the faces of his team.

"She committed suicide..."