Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

Bowie

In a blink of an eye, we were back in Durango. It felt good sharing a bed with River, now that we were more than friends. It felt right, and all the doubts I had disappeared quickly. It was the right thing to do, crossing that infamous line we always tried so hard not to.

Mom and Dad were incredibly excited to hear that River and I had taken the next step. Not that it was any of their business, but they've been a big part of his life, too. They loved him like their own, which was weird, now that I was thinking about it. Luckily, River and I weren't related.

It was the first day back at Blue Oak after Christmas, and none other than Ford Warren was walking my direction as I stepped out of my car. I usually didn't take the car to school, but after classes, I wanted to go buy an outfit to wear for my date with River.

"You look lovely," he said with a smile. His eyes wandered all over my body, and I started to feel uncomfortable. Closing the car door and crossing my arms over my chest, I smiled up at him. "Hey, Ford." Last time I saw him, I turned him down.

"So, I was thinking..." he started, rubbing his hands to keep them warm. "It's a new year. I know you said you didn't want to go on a date with me, but I think we should go out and talk. I know I messed up, and I think that's the reason why you don't wanna date me, but I also think you should give me another chance. I don't care if you have a best friend you love. I love my friends, too. I can get over it."

He was not giving up. Not sure if that annoyed or amused me. "Ford...I'm not sure if I made myself clear the last time." I stopped as I saw River come our way, pressing my lips into a thin line, and hoping he wouldn't get mad at Ford for talking to me. In my eyes, Ford had every right to come up to me and say hi, but River saw it differently.

"Exchanging more notes for classes?" River asked as he reached us. He looked at Ford with raised eyebrows and a tilt of his head.

"I was trying to convince your friend here to give me another chance and go on a date with me," Ford said, smiling at me.

My cheeks turned red from all the awkwardness. I tensed. "I was just explaining to him that—" River interrupted me before I could finish the sentence.

"Didn't she make herself clear the last time?" he asked, and Ford shrugged.

"Yeah, and it was to my understanding that you two are just friends. Very close friends. I get that. But she's still free to date whoever she wants, and I don't think it's right for you to stop her from doing so." Ford had a point. But that point was invalid with the situation River and I were in.

River chuckled, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. He looked at Ford, then at me. "Maybe we should let him in on our little secret," he said to me. But before I had the chance to say a word, his lips were on mine.

I smiled into the kiss, steadying myself by holding on to his coat. After a few seconds, River moved back and looked at Ford with a raised brow.

"Fuck," Ford mumbled. "All right. I'm sorry for bothering you," he told us.

"You didn't," I replied, smiling at him in the hoped he wouldn't be mad. "There are so many girls around here that would die to get your attention, Ford. I'm sure you'll find the right one."

He left without another word, and I felt bad for him. "You didn't have to do that. He's heartbroken," I sighed, punching River lightly in the stomach. He laughed, taking my hand and pulling it up to his lips to kiss the back of it.

"Good. You're mine. And I want everyone to know."

"Unless you don't make out in the middle of the cafeteria or halls, no one will notice a difference." I turned to see Whitley come around the front of my car with a grin on her face.

Whitley wasn't surprised at all as we told her that we were not just friends anymore. She waved her hand at us, saying that all we've been doing all those years was foreplay just waiting to evolve into something more. She was somewhat right.

River laughed and interlocked his fingers with mine. "Who said that's not what I had planned for today?"

"Please, don't. There already too much humping in the halls."

"Not that you wouldn't enjoy watching," River teased. We started to walk toward the Northern Hall, even though I was the only one who had classes there.

"Oh, for sure. But I don't want you two to become that weird and nasty couple that doesn't care who sees how deep his tongue can go into the girl's mouth."

I laughed, scrunching up my nose and looking over at her. "I promise you we'll only do that behind closed doors."

We reached the entrance of the hall and I turned to River. "Is our date still on?" I asked.

"Yes. I'll pick you up tonight at six," he said, smiling down at me. "Can't wait," he added, kissing my lips softly but quickly stepping back again. He nodded at Whitley, then walked off to get to his own classes.

"Do you still wanna go buy a new dress?" Whitley asked.

I nodded. "I don't have anything that's romantic enough for a date. I want him to see me in something new. All the things I have at home are the same things he's always seen me wear."

Whitley smiled at me,looking like a proud mother who just sent her kids off to school for the firsttime. "I hate how cheesy you guys are, but I know you'll last. It was only amatter of time."