Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

River

I woke up in the middle of the night with Bowie in my arms. The last thing I remembered from last night was my father shouting at me through the phone and calling me names.

It took me by surprise, seeing his name light up on my screen. I was just getting ready to go to the bar, but after that phone call, I was tired and mad. I fell asleep with the anger in my chest growing and taking up so much space, that I didn't even care to call up Bowie and tell her I wouldn't come. Not sure when she crawled into my bed, but I was glad she did.

"I was worried about you," I heard her whisper, and I pulled her closer to my body. It was dark, but with the moonlight shining into my room, I could see her face well enough to tell that her eyes were open.

I kissed her forehead, running my hand through her hair. "I'm sorry," I replied. "I know I should've called."

She turned her head to look up at me, and I planted a kiss to her nose. "Talk to me," she whispered softly.

It took a moment for me to let her in on my little secret. I hated talking about my dad, but with her, I knew I was safe and wouldn't get judged for anything I'd say. She would listen and try to help me feel better.

"Dad called. I made the stupid mistake to pick up. I thought...maybe he had something nice to say. After all these years, maybe he wanted to apologize." I stopped to take in a deep breath. "First thing he said was that I ran off to get away from him. Doesn't make much sense to me. He's the one who left two years ago. Then, he told me I was stupid to leave Denver, and that I wouldn't achieve anything studying at Blue Oak."

I felt Bowie's arms tighten around me, and the frown between her brows deepened. "You're one of the best students," she said. That made me smile, and luckily, I knew I was. I had my values. And my father would not bring me down by telling me I was dumb and an idiot.

"Then he asked where I lived so he could come by. I didn't tell him, but I'm sure he'll find out sooner or later. And after that, he called me a murderer. Over and over again."

I didn't feel like crying. After his call, I had shed some tears, but now that I had Bowie in my arms, I wanted to stay strong and keep my emotions safely tucked where they wouldn't bring us down. I hated seeing Bowie upset, and the story I had told her already sparked a lot of sadness in her.

Her body was tense, and I tried to calm her by rubbing my hands along her back. "I'm fine. I just hope he doesn't come here. He sounded...drunk. Slurred his words multiple times. Not sure what overcame him to call me, but I'm glad he did before he shows up here without notice."

"I'm sorry," Bowie said, her hand coming up to brush my hair back. "I was scared something happened to you, but I'm glad you're okay. I'm here," she told me. "Is there something else you wanna talk about?"

She knew I had more than my father's verbal attacks on my mind. I nodded, keeping my eyes on hers and carefully choosing my next words. I didn't mind talking about this topic, but I was scared to break down. It's been a while since I talked about it, but I knew I could always trust Bowie.

"Him calling me a murderer bothers the fuck outta me," I told her. "I was a kid. Four years old! How was I supposed to know she wasn't breathing anymore? How was I supposed to know what to do?" I felt tears sting my eyes. For Mom, I would always shed tears.

"You wouldn't have known, Riv. You were a child, and you were there with her. I know it was scary, but I think it's beautiful that you were next to her, keeping her company. You know I don't like the thought of death...but your mom was lucky to have you there by her side."

Bowie's words helped me to calm down and see it all in a different light. We've had this conversation before. A few times, actually. But no matter how many times we talked about Mom and what happened that morning, I was lucky to have Bowie be the one to listen.

"Do you think she hears me? I talked to her before falling asleep last night. I wish there is a way for her to let me know that she hears me."

"As long as you keep her close to your heart, she'll always listen," Bowie said with a smile.

I leaned in to kiss her lips. She kissed me back, keeping that smile on her lips while they moved against mine. "You make me so damn happy," I whispered against her lips, then looked back into her eyes.

"I love you, River. Always."

"I love you too, Bow.

***

The next morning, Bowie walked into my bedroom with a cup of coffee in her hands. She sat down next to me in bed, and I pushed myself up to take the cup from her hands.

"Thank you, love," I said, taking a sip from the coffee.

"Are you feeling better?" she asked, moving her fingers through my hair at the back of my head. She was so damn caring and sweet.

"Much better," I told her, smiling at her. "I ruined your Friday night, but I was hoping to see you at the cage, watching me fight tonight."

I knew she wasn't keen on watching me fight, but she would come anyway. To support me and cheer for me. "Of course," she said, then leaned against me with her head on my shoulder and her hands now wrapped around my arm. "As long as you win tonight."