Eggs and a Sausage

In which the guard tries to win over the girl by talking about breakfast.

He'd liked her for ages, and he knew it too – half the palace did, but she was just painfully oblivious. She'd caught his eye as soon as he'd come to the royal palace of Katolis and two years later he was still trying to catch hers in return.

She was beautiful, brilliant, brave and capable and he was nobody particularly noteworthy – it felt hopeless sometimes, but he never gave up trying to get her attention. Whenever their breaks aligned, he made sure to grab lunch or a snack coincidentally at the same time as her. He did whatever he could to ensure they were put on patrol together (within reason, his job was still a priority) and though he really only seemed to annoy her, he persisted.

Which was how he ended up with her in the forest a few hours before sundown, talking about breakfast.

'Yesterday I had two eggs for breakfast, and I was starving; today I had four eggs and I'm stuffed! So tomorrow...'

She cut him off as the trees rustled. 'Three eggs, I get it! We don't need to talk.'

He was trying to be smart, though, so he had not been about to say that. He corrected her with, 'But I was gonna say two eggs and a sausage.'

She just rolled her eyes and continued staring out into the forest.

He'd get her someday.

Just a random short idea my brain came up with when watching this scene again.