CH. 4

No Man's Land

I walked into the lounge room and noticed Meredith with a photo album. I smiled as I stood over her and noticed the picture of what looked like her, mum and dad. "Coffee?" I asked and Meredith nodded before I entered the kitchen and made two cups of coffee. I gave Meredith hers before leaving the house to get to work. I turned the corner of the hallway and saw Derek now standing in front of me.

"You're here early." I said in shock. Usually, I'm the only attending here till at least 6am.

"I have a chordotomy at 5:00. I'm out at 6:00. I thought I might buy you breakfast because you are always here early." Derek said as we walked down the hallway. I smirked.

"I've already eaten." I stated even though I hadn't.

"Oh, what'd you have?" Derek asked acting all smart like he knew I was lying.

"None of your business." I stated as I watched Derek walk backwards as he spoke to me. I was hoping he'd trip over something.

"You've always been a no breakfast have lunch kind of person." Derek said and I signed at how well we knew each other.

"Actually, I did have breakfast today. Left over grilled cheese. Curiosity satisfied?" I said raising my finger at him. 

"That's sad. It's pathetic. A good day starts with a good breakfast." Derek said before taking a sip out of his coffee.

"Look, just go prepare for your surgery. Keep this professional. It's what I want." I said as we entered the lobby.

"That's what you get." Derek said, although he winked at me. I shook my head and chuckled. 

"You're going to be late for you chordotomy." I stated and Derek checked his watch before nodding.

"Nice talking to you Dr. Grey." Derek said and I laughed softly before turning and walked away. My pager went off and I looked down to see Burke's name with a patient's room number. I rounded the corner and entered the room with a small knock. 

"Dr. Grey, this is Liz. An old friend of Richards and an extremely well-known scrub nurse from the day. Liz this is Evangeline Grey, she works alongside me in cardio." Burke introduced us.

"Good morning. How are we this morning? It's nice to meet an old friend of Richards and a well-known scrub nurse from this hospital." I said placing out my hand to shake Liz's hand. She watched me carefully as if wanting to ask me something but not knowing if she should. "I also heard you were Ellis's scrub nurse back in her day. I am her eldest daughter." I continued and Liz nodded with a smile. "Meredith is with a guy who has nails in his head. So, you get this grey today. Dr. Yang. Burke and I are going to need a full blood work-up and abdominal CT." I stated staring at Christina who looked mad and upset that she chose to steal this surgery then be with the nail head guy.

"CTs are down this morning." Chief said and I groaned.

"Then an MRI. She needs an enema, an ERCO for a stent. And brush biopsy this afternoon." Burke finished before he and I started to leave.

"Take care of her. Liz is an institution around here." Chief said before following us out of the patient's room. I glanced at my watch and smiled. Derek was pulling nails out of the guys head in a minute. I ran up to the viewing room and walked inside. I glanced down at Derek and Meredith.

"There goes the third grade." I heard Christina say and I chuckled knowing she hadn't seen Burke or myself.

"Dr. Yang. Did you put in the blood work?" Burke asked turning and leaning over so that she could now see him.