CH. 5

Shake Your Groove Thing

So last night Liz passed away and today I have to deal with these rumors about a party that is being thrown at Meredith's house.  I had just walked out of a surgery on Mrs. Patterson's heart with Burke and Meredith. There was a complication, but she still made it. I came out of the hallway and saw Derek eating a salad.

"Hey, I heard Meredith did a CABG with Burke and you. Did she get to hold the heart?" Derek asked and I nodded continuing to walk. 

"I'll see you later, we are late." I explained as the elevator opened and I walked in with George.

"See you later." Derek said and I waved.

"Bye." I said before the doors closed and we rode the elevator in silence up. Later on that day i was standing by the nurses station in the lobby doing some paper work when Derek walked over and stood next to me.

"You ok?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm good." I said.

"Are you sure? Because you seem not ok." Derek said again and I shook my head.

"I'm fine. CABG was long." I explained.

"Well, let me take you out to dinner tonight. You can tell me all about it. Real food, waiters, big chunks of carbs in a basket." Derek said and I signed.

"I can't." I said walking away slightly to put the chart away.

"Forget about the party." Derek said and I looked up at him.

"You know about the party?" I asked in shock and annoyance.

"You're friends will be at the party. You and I can be alone somewhere else." Derek said but I ignored him and went back to how he knew about the party.

"How do you know about the party?" I asked.

"Thanks for not inviting me by the way, that felt good. Dinner, think about dinner. Perfect opportunity." Derek said before he started walking away and my pager went off. I ran over to Mr. Patterson, Meredith and Burke.

"I popped a glove." I heard Meredith say as I showed up. My eyes widened as I adverted my eyes to Mr. Patterson.

"Meredith I suggest you not say anything right now until we get to the OR." I suggested not wanting her to say anything in front of the patients husband. She didn't listen to me though.

"In surgery, when I was holding it, I popped a glove with my fingernail. I think I may have nicked her heart." Meredith confess and I groaned before glancing at Burke telling him to move.

"Let's go people." Burke yelled and we started rolling Mrs. Patterson back to the OR.

"I told you not to say anything in front of her husband." I said angry that now if Mrs. Patterson didn't live her husband had probable clause to sue us. We got into the OR and Burke started yelling at Meredith as he and I worked to figure out what happened.

"You had every opportunity to speak up before I closed her chest. Suction." Burke said in anger. I applied suction while glancing over my shoulder at Meredith.

"I'm sorry." Meredith said.

"And then you confess in front of her husband? You don't even know if you were the cause. You have no idea." Burke yelled again. I placed in a sponge before applying more suction.

"I'm sorry." Meredith said again.

"There. Over here." I said waving over to Meredith. She walked over and Burke and I showed her what had happened.