Chapter Two: The Long Awaited Return

The entire village of Berk waited eagerly in the Great Hall. Stoick sat proudly on his chief throne, just as excited as his subjects. Gobber was seated next to him. He too, couldn't wait.

Today, Hiccup and his friends were to come home after five years of dragon training on another island.

Stoick was mostly excited to see how they've changed. Well, if they've changed, he said in his head as he thought of a certain set of twins.

"Nervous?" Gobber asked from next to him, snapping him out of his thoughts. Stoick hummed questioningly, resting his cheek in his hand. "Nervous? Of course I'm not nervous. I'm just hoping the island did them good. That they didn't waste five years by coming back as the same slackers they used to be. Well, some of them." Stoick implied. Suddenly, a loud horn echoed throughout the island, signalling a boat had arrived onshore.

Stoick's eyebrows almost jumped off his face. "That must be Hiccup. They're here." He announced. The crowd waited patiently in silence as they heard muffled voices and footsteps come towards the door. Everyone was holding in their breaths.

The door slowly opened and five bodies poured themselves in.

(A/N: The gang all look like they do in HTTYD 2 except it's more dragon killing themed.)

The first was Fishlegs Ingerman. He had grown a stubble that covered most of his lower face area. He had upgraded from a simple tunic to adding a fur coat, a belt filled with pockets for his dragon cards.

Next, was Snotlout Jorgensen. He had also grown a deeper stubble. He had a black cloak with a buckle across his chest. His horns on his helmet had been changed to longer and curly ones. And yet, he still had a cheeky smirk across his face.

The twins were next, Ruffnut and Tuffnut Thorston. Tuffnut had grown dreadlocks and put bands around them. He was probably the only guy who hadn't grown some form of a beard or stubble. Ruffnut had made her helmet horns longer and more crazy, just like her. She had added more clothing on top of her tunic and more wrappings around her arms.

And last but not least, Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III. He had grown up from his somewhat scrawny figure into a thin but muscular man. He had a light stubble too and he had multiple layers of armour on him. His hair had become thick and wild. The only things that changed in a bad way, was his expression. Ever since....you know...he wasn't himself. He changed. He was meaner, grumpier and he never smiled. That may sound like an exaggeration but it was true. Astrid's death really took a toll on him.

Needless to say, puberty did them good.

Whispers soon traveled around the room like a virus. Everyone was completely baffled at how much they had changed. Well, at least, physically.

Stoick had a proud father's expression across his features. He stood up, Gobber following his action, and opened his arms to begin his welcoming speech.

"People of Berk, today...we celebrate the return of five Vikings, who will guide our tribe to success in doing things no other Vikings had the guts to do. Dragons no one had ever killed before. Do I believe it's possible?" He glanced over at his son.

"Yes I do." He kept his gaze on his son, a happy smile on his face. "I think I say this on behalf of everyone, it's good to have you back." He finished and the crowd erupted into a cheer.

During the small celebration, Stoick stood next to Gobber, observing the group of young adults who returned that day.

He first watched the twins, not expecting them to have grown up. And...he was right. Ruffnut was stuffing as many treats as she could in his mouth and then making him do a handstand to see if he could swallow it. Tuffnut was laughing the entire time, thinking he was some talented genius.