A Royal Proposal

The sun was beginning to set in Winchester. The garden within the castle walls was beautiful in its amber hue, and peaceful at this time of day. I asked Uhtred to meet me here in the garden, where my father the King, his servants and the guards of the castle would not find our meeting suspicious. I walked along the garden, nervously twiddling my fingers in anxious behaviour.

Recently I have found the love of my life and want nothing more than to spend the rest of my life with him... but as the Princess of Wessex my father has been arranging suitors for me to marry. He had no clue of my love for a Dane, THE Dane fighting along side him for Wessex. He would refuse such a union if only he knew. So Uhtred and I have kept our relationship a secret, at least until we've figured out another way.

This evening I must tell Uhtred that my father has finally found for me a suitor after weeks of searching. He's found a prince with great wealth and a kingdom to unite with Wessex, to create the future of a great united land that he had envisioned.

Thoughts raced through my mind, one after the other. How would I tell Uhtred this? And what would we do to stop it? I am unsure of so many things, but one thing I am for sure of is that I love Uhtred of Bebbanburg, and I cannot marry any suitor my father brings to me.

I stop in front of a rose bush and brush my fingers over a rose, stroking the soft petals. Seconds later two large hands come from behind me to cover my eyes. A soft chuckle escapes the lips of the man standing behind me. "Guess, who am I?" Questions the deep voice teasingly. "I will allow you some hints, Princess. But only because you are a princess." he says next, making me chuckle softly.

He then begins with hints saying, "I am known to be very handsome, perhaps the most handsome in all of Wessex! " He plays. "And I am strong, very strong! And most, no- ALL would say that I am the best warrior in all of the land!" He continues to chuckle as he kids. "So, who might I be then?"

I can't help but laugh, as he tries to boost his own ego in describing himself so highly. I play along with him, "Well, let's see..." I trail with a smirk. "It couldn't be Uhtred of Bebbanburg, now could it?" He removes his hands from my eyes and turns me around gently. "Ah, so she is beautiful and smart!" He chimes with a wide grin. My smile grows wide at the sight of him. And his are eyes so blue and mesmerizing. With meeting Uhtred just now I had almost forgotten my problems for just a moment.

I guess my smile fades and turns upside down because Uhtred now seems concerned. "Y/n?" He questions, acting serious now. "What has happened? Why did you ask for me in the garden?" I look around the garden to see it empty, only Uhtred and I stand outside. With the coast clear I grab his hand. "Uhtred..." I trail, unsure of how to tell him without breaking his heart... or mine. "My father has found me a suitor. And I assume he is on his way to Winchester to propose immediately." I sigh.

Uhtred's eyes hold a look of shock to them. "What?" He questions me in disbelief. "So soon?" His expression changes now, from shock to anger, and almost panic. I have never seen him panicked. He shakes his head and steps even closer to me, "No." He states, placing his hands down to cup my face. "No, I wont let it happen!"

All I can think of is how. How can we stop this disastrous situation that threatens to tear our love apart? I look up at Uhtred, searching for answers in his eyes, knowing fully that he too had not known how to fix or deter the situation either.

"You will not marry." He assures me. I am unsure if he is trying to assure me, or mostly himself. My hands find their way to his chest, his heart races over my right hand. "You aren't speaking..." says Uhtred. "Do you wish to marry a prince?" He asks with sadness in his tone.

I begin to drift and imagine a marriage of my choosing, a marriage with Uhtred. The thought of that excites me greatly. What an adventure a life together would provide, and to be free.