Held Hostage by Haesten

Uhtred had left Winchester on a short errand for King Alfred and has just arrived back. He is excited to be back, to reunite with his beautiful newly wedded wife.

"Uhtred!" calls out Father Beocca in a panic as he runs outside from Winchester's palace, after hearing of the warrior's return. He holds a letter in his hand and rushes over to Uhtred and his horse. Finan and Sihtric are seated upon their horses behind Uhtred.

"Father Beocca!" Uhtred calls back contently with a smile. "I see you are very pleased to see me, though I have not been gone too long." He chuckles. "No, Uhtred," comments back Beocca whilst trying to catch his breath. Finan and Sihtric look to each other with furrowed brows as they watch the old priest. Uhtred's face changes also, and his smile has turned serious. "What is wrong, Beocca?" He asks, jumping down from his horse and placing his hand on the priest's shoulder.

"It's Y/n," He begins, holding the letter up to Uhtred. "She has been taken by Danes!"

Uhtred takes the letter forcefully into his hands. He reads over it quickly and tares the page. "Who has taken her, Lord?" Finan asks with deep concern, stepping down from his horse and walking over to Uhtred. Uhtred places his hand over his lips and tries to think of how to find you and bring you back to him safely. "Haesten has my wife." He says, remembering back to the time where he had made an enemy of Haesten.

"Haesten?" Questions Finan. "That filthy Dane always looks for a no good reason to fight!" He then says to Uhtred. "Well what should we do, Lord? Where do we travel to get her?" Asks Sihtric in a panic, wanting to help.

Uhtred feels frozen, unable to think or move. His heart is full of agony at the thought of your capture, and what Haeston may have done or planned to do with you. Father Beocca responds, knowing fully that Uhtred needs a moment. "You will go to Northumbria. That is where the letter mentioned for Uhtred to find her." He explains to the men. Beocca places his hand on the shoulder of Uhtred and says softly to him, "Uhtred, you will find Y/n and you will bring her back home safety with you. But you must leave now." He assures. Uhtred looks to Father Beocca with a fear in his eyes and embraces him in a hug. "Go on," commands the priest, pushing Uhtred away after a moment. "I'll pray to God to keep her safe in the meantime and grant you a quick journey."

Finan is already back on his horse and ready to ride. Uhtred climbs up onto his stallion and tugs at the reins, nodding to Beocca in thanks before speeding off to Northumbria where Finan and Sihtric follow.

I was seated on the floor, in a large wooden hall and held hostage by Danes. Haesten has taken me to lure my husband, Uhtred to him. I did not worry for I knew as soon as Uhtred heard word of this, he would turn wild with anger and race to my rescue.

A corse rope scratches at my bound wrists and I wince from the discomfort. I look up to the two Danes who had me guarded, they sit nearby with weapons in hand and make jokes amongst themselves. Haesten was no where to be found at the moment, but he would return. As if my thoughts drew him in, Haesten barged into the hall.

"I have just received word that Uhtred is on the way!" He barks with adrenaline. He takes out his metal sword and holds it out, admiring it's shine and freshly sharpened blade. He chuckles to himself and places it back where it belongs. I don't fear Haesten so I speak up from the corner where I am held. "What do you want with my husband?" I yell out to the large Dane. Haesten looks over at me with a sneer. "It is not your business to know what I want with Uhtred." He replies angrily. "You are just the bait." He reminds in a cheerful manner.

"Uhtred will kill you!" I then say, not having yet finished angering Haesten. He looks to me, clearly appalled by my words. Walking over to me with loud steps and towering over me he then spits, "Listen here woman, you will shut your mouth or I will cut out your tongue!" He grabs my face in his large, rough hand and holds my jaw to stare in my eyes. His eyes do not intimidate me and I do not cower at Haesten. "If you harm me, he will kill you." I state boldly once more. Haesten smirks and a scoff escapes his lips, "He will try." He finishes.