A Negotiation Between a Saxon and Danes

A request. Thank you for your support and storyline idea. 

So this is where Alfred, King of Wessex has been hiding? He lives quite extravagantly as a Saxon ruler. I'll give him that bit of praise, but nothing more.

I look around, walking through the grand palace of Winchester. I follow closely behind a small, nervous like priest who escorts us through the palace. It's as if he has never seen a shield-maiden or Danes before.

Following closely behind myself is my father Guthrum, and behind him is Ubba, who I consider to be an uncle of mine. We wander through the palace, towards the King's court where we are called to "negotiate" with the King of Saxons.

I snicker at the thought. We are Danes! And we do not negotiate. We fight for what we want and we take it! I always thought Saxons to be silly, with their God and belief of peace.

If anything is to come from this "negotiation" it is I who will make it clear to Alfred that we do not surrender to Saxons, nor negotiate with them. If Alfred wants us to leave Wessex so desperately, then his Royal Highness will need to fight for it with blood, instead of bribing us out.

"Remember, Y/n." Speaks up my father Guthrum, "It is I who will speak to Alfred and hear his negotiation. You will stay quiet." He commands.

I slow my pace and walk next to my father. "If Alfred is to say anything at all that I disagree with, then I'll voice my opinion!" I begin. "I will not allow this Saxon King to buy us out of land that we can claim and conquer for our own people!" I respond boldly back to my father.

The voice of Ubba interrupts, saying, "Your daughter has the right attitude, Guthrum. We mustn't allow Alfred to think of us as weak, to take a bribe and leave at his command."

Guthrum hears this and nods in thought. "Regardless, we will hear his talk of sliver. And with his riches we will be able to buy more boats and warriors to eventually take his whole kingdom." He trails.

"So do not worry, Y/n." He adds. "Either way, Alfred is to lose. We will take his sliver and his precious Saxon filled Wessex!" He laughs aloud.

I shake my head, but smirk at his response. Perhaps my father is right. We can take this King's silver if he offers well, and take his land also. I did not mind this plan at all.

Finally the priest stops outside a large door and knocks rapidly. The doors are then pulled open by two of the King's guards. Myself, Guthrum and Ubba walk into the large room. We are greeted by Alfred who stands from his thrown. Over to his right, stands a very familiar face that I haven't seen for many years.

"King Alfred!" Chimes my father in greeting with a smirk on his face as he strides into the room.

Ubba also speaks with surprise when he makes mention to the other person in the room. "And Ah! if it isn't young Uhtred Ragnarson!"

My eyes widen once I gather that Uhtred is now indeed standing in front of me. My heart races unexpectedly in my chest and I can not control it. I am completely stunned and shocked to see Uhtred in the flesh.

Uhtred nods his head in small greeting to both Ubba and my father, and his eyes freeze in place when he notices me.

We both now stare at each other is disbelief. "Uhtred?..." I trail confused.

"Y/n?..." he trails back, with the sound of shock evident in his voice.

I had known Uhtred for most of my life, we had grown up together. We used to play together as children after he was taken in by Earl Ragnar the Fearless.