Leaving for Battle

The morning sun peered into the bedroom of our little house in Winchester. I lay in bed wide awake, as I had been unable to get a single moment of sleep all night long.

I look over to my sleeping husband who has his strong arm wrapped around me tightly. I smile, brushing a strand of his hair out of his face. Uhtred is so peaceful and still as he sleeps, complete opposite to his warrior ways.

My heart aches as I remember once more that this morning when he awakes, Uhtred is to leave Winchester with King Alfred for a battle against Wessex. With every passing minute I grow more and more worried that this could be the last time I sleep next to my husband. I had to stop the continuous thoughts and what ifs, for my heart couldn't bare it.

I know Uhtred is a great warrior; probably the best. I don't doubt his skill but I fear that if he makes one wrong move or faces one larger Dane on the battlefield, that he will not return back to me in Winchester.

I feel Uhtred stir beside me and I watch him as his eyes flutter open. Our eyes meet and I am captivated by his ocean eyes. He smiles, pulling me closer to him in a hug. "Good morning." He smirks.

I smile widely. "Good morning." I greet. "I assume you slept well?" I question, to a now wide awake Uhtred. He lifts his arms over his head and stretches. "Very well." He answers.

I am jealous of this, as I was unable to sleep for even a second over my constant worrying. I couldn't understand how men could sleep so effortlessly the entire night, knowing that the next morning they would be riding into battle and in most cases, dying a gruesome death on a battlefield.

Uhtred sits up and rests his back against the wall of our bed. He pulls me over and up onto his lap. He chuckles as he does this and I squeal in surprise. I face him him now, straddling him. Being distracted by him I laugh also, while resting my hands over his broad shoulders and blushing slightly.

My husband places his large hands onto either side of waist, securing my position. My hands now fall down his arms, trailing over every vein and muscle, and back up again to his shoulders. Uhtred watches my expression change from laughter to sadness.

"What's wrong?" He asks with deep concern in his voice. I avoid eye contact with him.

I want to show him that I am a warrior's wife, supportive and strong in his leaving for battle, but I just can't seem to hide the fear I have. My husband is my life, there is only him and I. I would be devastated if he ever left me to be a widow. A single tear rolls down my cheek. As soon as I realize it, I wipe it away quickly with the back of my hand.

Uhtred squeezes my hips gently. This action causes me to look back at him. "Why are you sad?" He now asks. His face holds concern and his eyes look deeply into mine, searching for the answers I am not providing.

"I do not want you to leave me." I say, looking away shyly once more. "I fear for your life on that battlefield." I admit. Uhtred sighs. Timidly I look back at him and I can tell from his eyes that he understands my fear and concern.

Uhtred smiles small, "I will return back to Winchester." He replies. He raises his hand up to my face and his fingers brush softly under my chin. "I will return to you alive and well." He promises.

I sigh in thought. As if Uhtred is to know of all the answers? After all he is the one that always says, "Destiny is all!" So how was he to be so certain of his own life? He is not among the Gods, and he does not decide one's fate or his own.

"How can you be so certain?" I then ask. "It is for the Gods to decide, is it not?" I add.

Uhtred chuckles and a smirk pulls at his lips. "Because," He begins, "The Gods love to watch me fight. So I am certain this will not be my last battle." He says. Uhtred leans forward, inching his face closer to my own. Before our lips are about to meet, he whispers another assurance to me. He cheekily says, "Valhalla is not ready for me yet."