Chapter 7

Morning light illuminated Jin Ling's room, and he woke up when the sun rays hit him. He rolled over, contented and half- asleep. His eyes shot open when he remembered last night.

He was so caught up in stargazing that he didn't notice Qini sneaking up to him. When she was close enough, she surprised him and resulted to Jin Ling screaming quite loudly.

"What are you doing? Are you out of your mind?!" Jin Ling shouted, embarrassed. Qini just shrugged. "You looked like you were going to put some holes at the night sky the way you look at it. What's wrong?"

"None of your concern! And why would I tell a stranger anyways?" He angrily shouted, once again embarrassed when he was caught in his vulnerable state. When he cried in front of everybody as he was told to lower down his father's sword, he vowed that he wouldn't show any vulnerability to anyone again. And when Qini witnessed a crack in his facade, he was ashamed and angry at himself.

Qini's face fell quite a bit but it was back to her cheerful self just as fast as it fell. "Well, I respect your decision. But, if ever you want someone to talk to, I'm here, okay? I promise." She smiled, and Jin Ling looked at her retreating figure.

Jin Ling frowned and covered himself with the blanket, ashamed. He was sick of people looking down at him just because he grew up without his parents around. People were always pitying him, thinking that he couldn't do it. Not to mention that he was suppose to take over Lanling Sect when he's at the right age, but people were skeptical, just because of the fact that he had no parents, but Jiang Cheng and his supposedly bad guy, his uncle Wei Wuxian.

He'd always have mixed feelings with his other uncle. He did helped Jin Ling many times, only to find out that he was the reason why his parents was killed, then to find out that Wei Wuxian was framed, and the blood of his parents weren't in his hands. But it was instilled to Jin Ling that Wei Wuxian killed them, and he was having a hard time to change his mindset overnight. In fact, he occasionally still have the nightmares that Wei Wuxian killed his parents.

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock. He immediately took it, and the Lans were there.

"A'Ling ah, we're going," Jingyi said. "But first, we need to ask you; how are you? You seemed off when we got here. Did something happened when you were away? You never told us anything." Sizhui said sadly. "A' Ling ah, we're still friends, right? We made a promise that no matter what, we will still be friends." He continued.

"Promises were meant to be broken." He shut the door, but he caught the glimpse of Sizhui's shocked face and Jingyi was enraged. Jin Ling swore, that never again, he'd be showing weaknesses. And having friends was making him weak.

. . . .

Y/n was strolling in the Lotus Pier she saw the kid at the fountain. The kid was again, holding a lotus flower, running towards a house. He knocked twice, and the granny showed up, smiling. She saw y/n and she waved to her, telling her to come in. Y/n smiled and ran too.

"A'Qi ah! It's nice to see you! How are you, my dear?"granny asked while holding y/n's shoulder.

"Oh, I'm just fine! I was just taking a stroll." y/n saw a flash of pink inside. "Is that a lotus flower?" she asked.

"oh, yes yes, our A'Jing brings flower to his sick mother." granny said sadly.

"A'Jing?" y/n looked at the quiet child, who gave the flower to his mother.

"His name is 里静柳Lǐ Jìngliǔ (Quiet willow) and he preferred to be called with his name than his courtesy name. His father gave it to him, and so he refused to share it and to use it."