Part Two - Potter... Head Boy?!

Lily POV

POTTER?! "What are you doing here?" I ask and raise an eyebrow. He probably just got in the wrong compartment and is about to leave any second. He runs his hand through his hair making it messier, and that infuriates me. "Oh well um..." He seems at a loss for words, which is strange because he always has something to say. An insult or some witty remark. He looks up at me. "I'm head boy." He mumbles and looks away. 

I struggle to hide my laughter. "Is this another one of your pranks? I mean you can't be head boy. Isn't it Remus?" Remus shakes his head no, and is quivering with silent laughter. "No, I'm really head boy." Potter says seriously. My eyes widen with shock. "Has Dumbledore lost his marbles?! I mean- what?!" Potter shrugs and looks at Remus. "That's exactly what I said. Why would he pick me?" Remus shrugs as well. 

I am at a loss of words. How did Potter become Head Boy?! It's the most prestigious spot in all of Hogwarts and Potter is nothing but an arrogant, obnoxious, toerag! Oh no! I'm going to have to go on shifts with Potter! Oh no oh no oh no! Wait... but he hasn't said anything bad yet. And he hasn't hexed anyone. I mean he didn't really have the chance and I've only been here for a few minutes but has he changed? No. He can't have changed. He's James Potter! I mean he's an idiotic bully! But...

"Ok, we should get started!" Potter says to the prefects and claps his hands together. I stare at him in shock. He turns to me and grins. I blush and look away while he starts talking. I have to admit, he is kind of good at this thing. The prefects seem to like what he's saying and they keep laughing at all of his jokes. 

Potter turns to me and says, "Is there anything you want to add?" "Oh yeah. So Po- James and I will be making the schedules of when you each will be doing your patrols and we will get them to you by the end of the week. Also, you guys know about the prefect's bathroom on the fifth floor, yes?" The prefects nod. "And one more thing. You need to be aware that being prefect is an enormous privilege and it can be taken away." They all nod again and leave the compartment to get back to their friends and it's just Potter and me together. 

I'm about to leave the room when I hear, "Evans, wait." I turn around to face him. Wow, he grew. He was tall before, but now he towers over me. I look up at him and sigh. "What Potter?" He runs his hands through his hair again and I roll my eyes. "I- um. Can we be friends this year?" He looks right at me. "Oh-" I start but he interrupts me. "I'm sorry. I know that I've been an arse in the past. Asking you out all the time and not listening to your answers. Playing pranks all the time and hexing everyone in my way. But can we please start over?" He looks at me pleadingly. I don't understand why he's doing this, but I guess it can't hurt to give him a chance. 

Even if he is an arrogant toerag. "Sure." "Wait, really?" Potter says, looking very surprised. I raise my eyebrow at him. This is sort of strange but ok. "Well, since we're friends now, can I call you Lily?" "Ok, I guess. James." I add with a smile and walk out the door.

That was a slightly weird encounter but oh well. I'm going to have to put up with him somehow, and it's easier if we are friends. This is going to be a very strange year.