c h a p t e r f o u r

"We don't know anything." Pope's frantic voice rang out as he stormed through the screen door of John B's porch. "We need to have total and complete amnesia."

Pope was practically shaking as he leaned against the door. John B was stood against the adjacent wall, while JJ sat in one of the chairs and Kie and Teddie shared the loveseat, Teddie's leg extended out with an ice pack resting on her ankle, courtesy of John B. "Pope's right." JJ said, making Teddie's eyebrows shoot up in surprise. JJ never agreed with Pope. "See? I agree with you sometimes. Deny, deny, deny."

"We can't keep that money." Teddie said, already knowing what was going through JJ's mind. "Or the gun."

"We need to give that money back to Lana Grubbs. It's bad karma if we don't." Kie said, Teddie nodding in agreement with her.

"Exactly."

"Okay, not of all us can afford unlimited data plans like you two." JJ said. Teddie's eyebrows narrowed at the boy. That was a low blow, even for him.

"JJ." She snapped. "That's besides the point. A man is dead, we can't keep it."

"Ya know," Pope said, "it'd be bad karma to be implicated in a felony too."

"We won't be implicated in a felony, Pope." JJ said, standing to move next to Pope. "You just gotta trust me, man. I gotchu."

"Don't trust him." Kie immediately told Pope.

"Yeah, no offense dude but you aren't exactly making me feel good about all this." Pope sighed. "We need to go dark."

JJ perked up, "If it means we keep the money, then I agree."

John B pushed himself up and walked over to JJ. "I don't agree." JJ groaned and rolled his eyes, making the girls chuckle. "No, no, no, just hear me out. This is Scooter Grubbs we're talking about, right? Same dude that's buying individual cigarettes and begging for change in the Save-A-Lot parking just to pay for gas." John B explained, looking around at the small group. "We're talking about a dirtbag marina rat who's never had more than $40 in his pocket. And now all of a sudden he's got a brand new Grady-White? Just sayin'."

The friends all sat in silence for a minute, letting John B's words sink in. He was onto something, Teddie had to admit. Scooter Grubs was bottom of the barrel poor. We're talking an actual dumpster diver. How does he end up with a Grady White? Especially in a place like the Outer Banks. And how did no one know about it? Everyone talks in the OBX, if Scooter Grubbs suddenly got himself that kind of boat, word would have spread. Yet no one knew until his body showed up. Teddie's brain was swirling with questions surrounding the mans death.

"As thrilling as this conversation has been, I'm gonna excuse myself and go inside." Kie said, interrupting the silence.

"I will definitely be joining you." Teddie said with a smile, knowing exactly what her best friend was going to be doing inside.

"I wanna fish." JJ said, Pope nodding in agreement. Kie and Teddie watched the boys make their way to the dock, where no doubt they'd continue the conversation of Scooter Grubbs. Kie flashed Teddie her joint with a giggle before holding her hand out and helping her up to limp into John B's room.

Teddie laid on her back on the ground, her legs resting on John B's bed while Kie sat next to her, her back against the foot of his bed while they passed the joint back and forth.