c h a p t e r s i x

Teddie let her eyes flutter shut as another yawn left her lips. Currently the girl was sitting in the gravel drive way of Lana Grubbs, Scooter's wife's, home. She didn't know why she let JJ talk her into going with him and John B to question the grieving woman. But here she was at 6:30 in the morning waiting for JJ and John B, when she could've been sleeping in. It was summer after all.

Movement from the front porch caught Teddie's eye and the girl turned her head to see Lana herself standing on the brightly painted porch and looking at the girl with an inquisitive look. "Shit." Teddie mumbled to herself before donning a sheepish smile and letting herself out of her Jeep.

"Teddie?"

"Hi, Miss Lana." Teddie greeted, offering the older woman a small wave. Teddie and Lana had spoken on a few occasions, mainly when the girl was younger. Anytime the two did speak Teddie always noticed how gentle and warm Miss Lana was.

"Can I help you with something, sweetie?"

Teddie nodded her head as she approached the woman slowly. "Um, sort of. My friend John B is actually on his way, he had some questions about his dad...and Scooter."

Lana's eyebrows furrowed slightly. "What does my Scooter have to do with his father?"

Teddie shrugged. "We were hoping you knew. It's a long story, but-" Teddie was cut off by the sound of a a vehicle door slamming shut. Only seconds later the same guys who were shooting at her and her friends only a day before were making their way towards the two women.

Lana gripped Teddie's arm tightly in her grasp. "Get inside. Go to the bathroom and lock the door. Don't come out, no matter what you hear."

Teddie's heart dropped into her stomach at the woman's words. "What? Miss Lana-"

Lana turned swiftly and stared at Teddie with urgency, "Go!" With a small shove Teddie was stumbling through the screen door and into the woman's home, making a beeline for the bathroom.

Teddie's shaky hands slammed the door shut behind her and locked it. Her eyes scanned the bathroom quickly before landing on a small shelf that she shoved in front of the door as well before she took a few staggering steps backwards.

It was silent for a few moments, she didn't hear Lana or the two men at first. But then she did. Lana's screams echoed throughout the small house and Teddie's eyes immediately filled with tears. She didn't know what to do. Didn't know what she could do. There was no way she could defend both herself and Miss Lana against those two men, they were double her size. Her phone was sitting in the passenger seat of her car, and even if she did have it all the towers were down. She wouldn't be able to get ahold of anyone anyway.

She could hear the sound of glass and furniture breaking as Lana's cries got louder and the men's voices and footsteps got closer. But as quickly as it started, it was over. Silence loomed in the small house as Teddie held a hand over her mouth to keep her breathing quiet. It didn't do much for the girl, because a moment later a kick was landed to the bathroom door, making the wood splint immediately. Teddie jumped and took another step backwards until she couldn't anymore. The voices blurred together as the kicks came quicker and harder until the door was half way off its hinges and Teddie was staring at the man. Recognition flashed in his eyes and immediately he was lunging forward for the girl.

Teddie tried in vain to jump out of the way, her scream mixing with Lana's. The mans large hand wrapped around Teddie's hair, pulling the girl to the ground with a cry and a thud. Teddie immediately kicked her legs out to keep the man away, but it did no good. His hand latched around her ankle and the next thing she knew she was getting dragged out of the bathroom. Her nails left scratch marks in the wood flooring as she screamed and cried for the boy who couldn't save her.