𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 1 " 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐒𝐩𝗼𝐭"

𝐇𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐞𝗺, 𝐍𝐘
1992

[𝐌𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐜 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠]
𝐆𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐇𝐢𝗺 𝐒𝗼𝗺𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠  𝐇𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐧  𝐅𝐞𝐞𝐥 —𝐄𝐧 𝐕𝗼𝐠𝐮𝐞

[Chorus: En Vogue + (Dawn)]
I'm giving him something he can feel
(Ooh) To let him know this love is real (hey, oh, I'm...)
Giving him something he can feel (All my lovin')
To let him know this love is real (Oh my love is real)
This love is real . . .

Hearing the r&b melody play throughout the foster home, Justice — the youngest — yanked on my pants leg as I looked down at her

" Yes Justice?" The small girl looked up at me before replying with " I'm hungry." nodding my head I walk into the hallway and knock on the door, the music sounded like it was getting louder so I began banging on the door.

" Mama Jen, I know you're in there! We're hungry, we've all been waiting for you to make dinner since seven o'clock— it's eleven fifteen." I yelled as my voice boomed through the hallway.

After several minutes of knocking Mama Jen finally opened her room door, "Stop playing with my damn door before I beat yo ass like a bitch on the street." she said before slamming it back shut. Rolling my eyes, I rushed into the room I shared with eleven other girls, went to my bunk and grabbed a ten dollar bill out of my shoe that stood under my bed.

Leaving out the door, I began to walk down the street to Josés fried chicken palace. Walking down my block all I heard was "Ayo ma , Excuse me beautiful, and God bless you's"

" Lord knows I can't wait to graduate and leave this place" I mumbled under my breath before finally entering the chicken spot.

I walked up to the counter and smiled at the middle aged man that looked at me through the glass that separated me from him — placing my hands on the counter, I looked at the menu that lit up . . figuring out what I wanted.

I ordered a regular wing combo for the little girl and I to share and 2 lemon pepper wing combos for my homegirls. "ORDER 31" yelled a Puerto Rican man through clear the order window. I shuffled through my pockets for the ten dollar bill but before I could hand it to him, a brown skin dude pulled out a 20 dollar bill and slid it through the clear window.

" I could've paid for it my self , you ain't have to do allat." I snapped, looking at the young man.

"Just tryna look out for you and walk you home ma, that's all." voiced the dude who wore a sly smirk on his face.

"Do I know you you?" I asked, clueless as ever. "Nah, but I've seen you around , you the  black girl with the chinky eyes all the niggas on the block be talking about" he said.

Chinky eyes? Thats a first. "I'm Julianne." I said before grabbing the bag that held my orders. I thanked the guy before walking away from the counter to their door.

His hand slightly grabbed my arm as I turned around and yanked it.

"Nigga don't be touching me like that. . . I don't know you." I sucked my teeth and looked him up and down.

He chuckled and put his hands up in defense.

" You feisty, I like that on you babygirl. But deadass, it's too dark outside for you to be walking these streets by yourself." He said with concern in his tone.

I laughed to myself , biting my lip.

" These streets raised me, I think I'll be aight, besides. . the fuck I look like walking home with a nigga who hasn't even told me his name ?" I joked looking at him as he a cracked smile.

" It's Jakari but everyone calls me Jay, ma." He responds. I nodded my head before talking. " Okay . . Jay. Walk me home — just don't do no weird white people shit, I kick ass." I joked and he chuckled and opened the door for me.

We began to walk down the street toward my building in complete silence. You could hear the water splashing out of the fire hydrants, the police car sirens throughout the neighborhoods, the noises coming from the Apollo. Everything about Harlem was beautiful down to it's dankness.

Finally making it back to my apartment, I walked up the steps but Jakari stops me before I go inside.

" What did you mean when you said the streets raised you?" Jay asked looking up at me.

I smirked and unlocked the door stepping one foot in before responding. " I'll explain one day."