CHAPTER FOUR

THE BUSTLING OF STUDENTS IN THE three broomsticks made Althea want to bash her head in to stop the incessant throbbing. Through her sunglasses, she couldn't see much, only to snow falling gently through the window and the greasy bacon sandwich in front of her. She felt the urge to vomit when she looked at healthy food in that moment, so she stuffed the bacon sandwich down her throat with ease and hunger.

"Whoa, slow down." Caroline chastised, "You don't want to choke."

"You don't know that." Althea shrugged casually. She thought maybe eating something would help her hangover, but she still felt like passing out.

"Come on," Reina stood up, "Let's go window shopping!" she said enthusiastically, earning a few cheers and a few groans, though all were excited by the idea. Althea slowly stood up and joined the rest of the group on their shopping trip. She needed something to excite her, or she just might collapse.

*

"Oh my god!" Reina gasped as she pointed something out in the window. It was a beautifully ornate teapot and small teacup, "It's just like the one from beauty and the beast!"

"What kind of twisted story is that?" Aubrey said from behind the group, still clutching her head.

"It's a French fairy tale!" Reina clutched her chest in mock offense. "It's beautiful. Have none of you read it?"

"Sorry, but you have to stop with the muggle references. None of us really get it." Caroline shrugged. Reina was the only muggle-born in the group and was constantly talking about the books she read. None of them really got it, though occasionally Althea or Yasmin had heard of it, but Althea never bothered to talk about it much.

"They even made a film in French about it? La belle et la bête?" at this, Althea perked up, momentarily forgetting her hangover.

"I did see that!" she said giddily. "I went to the cinema last summer with my mum. She really likes old films and they had a viewing of it."

"I haven't seen it." Reina shrugged, "But at least you know it!" she squealed and Althea winced.

"Can you not?" she hissed, trying to ignore the urge to strangle Reina.

"Sorry." she retreated into Caroline's shoulder.

"Oh here's Honeydukes!" Yasmin perked up, staring at the sweet store with greed.

"No, thanks. I don't think I can eat anything without dying." Aubrey rubbed her temple. Yasmin scoffed but didn't object.

"We have to go in!"

Althea was definitely craving something sweet. Her hangover was wearing off (though barely), and her stomach had been emptied earlier that morning after eating at the Three Broomsticks, so she was starving. She nodded enthusiastically at the suggestion and the group made their way towards the shop, dragging a reluctant and tired Aubrey behind them.

As soon as they entered the store, various sweet smells filled Althea's nose and she grinned. The first time she had been to Hogsmeade, she spent the whole trip in Honeydukes, picking out various sweets for energy. Every time since then, the shopkeeper greeted her with a warm smile as soon as she entered.

She was picking out some lemon flavoured candy-- her favourite-- when she heard the bell on the door ring from behind her, and she heard four boys chatting excitedly.

"I'm telling you, people are saying that the new Ravenclaw seeker is absolutely brilliant. We need to train harder." James told them, determined. Althea grinned.

"Why, thank you, boys." She winked, and her grin widened at their confused reactions.

"You know it's rude to listen in on other people's conversations." Remus crossed his arms, raising an eyebrow at her.

"You know it's rude to yell your conversations across the room for just anyone to hear."

"Yeah, but if you're the new Ravenclaw seeker, as you imply, that makes this conversation a little more sensitive." Peter reasoned.

"Too bad." she returned to picking out her sweets, leaving James and Sirius confused behind her. Her friends were on the other side of the room, talking in hushed tones, ignoring her previous conversation.

She finally headed towards the counter and opened her purse, only to find it empty.

Shit. She mentally cursed, I forgot I sent all my money to Thomas.

"Sorry, do you mind if I put those back on the shelves," She smiled warmly at the girl at the counter. "I, um... Changed my mind."

"It's on me." She heard a voice from behind her, making her to freeze in her tracks. It was Remus.

"I appreciate the gesture, but you don't have to do that." she smiled sheepishly.

"It's fine, just enjoy your sweets." he waved off her protest and handed her a small paper bag full of lemon flavoured treats.

"Thank you." she blushed in embarrassment. She hated that she had to be in this kind of situation, where she had to rely on someone else.

"All lemon, huh?" he peeked in the small bag.

"Oh, yeah. It's my favourite." she hesitated for a second. "By the way, how are you not severely hungover?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

"I was, but it wore off." she looked at him. He did look quite hungover, with dark circles under his eyes and pale skin, "Besides I saw you drink, like, two bottles of that muggle alcohol."

"You mean tequila?"

"Yeah, that."

"I think you've got me confused with Sirius." he pointed to a small corner of the shop, where Sirius lay, groaning. "I wasn't there, I stayed in my room."

"That might be right. I was really drunk." they shared a quick laugh, and Althea had to resist the urge to grin to herself. She had noticed the other night that she hadn't seen Remus anywhere at the party, but now her suspicions were confirmed. If he hadn't been at the party, though he looked tired and hungover when she saw him, what was he doing while his friends were out partying?

"But, from what the guys told me... You were really drunk." Remus shrugged.

"What do you mean?" She questioned curiously.

"Well, I doubt that when you're sober you get up on tables and-"

And then it hit her.