CHAPTER EIGHT

ALTHEA WATCHED FROM THE BAR AS Aubrey effortlessly flirted with a Gryffindor boy who had snuck in to the party. She had sat Althea down at the bar, telling her to drink to her heart's desire, and hurried off to meet the mysterious stranger. Althea was left all alone.

Being alone had its perks, of course, just like anything else. For example, she didn't have to deal with Aubrey and Yasmin calling her a prude for not drinking. She didn't have to deal with Caroline's telling off if she did. And she didn't have to deal with drunk Reina sticking her tongue down a stranger's throat.

But she still felt rather lonely. How is it that at her own party, she was sitting by herself? Shouldn't they be praising her? Smiling at her? Talking to her?

She took a sip of water, hell-bent on keeping herself sober, and sighed loudly.

"Sickle for your troubles?" she whirled around on her stool to find herself gave to face with none other than (you guessed it) Remus Lupin.

"How is it that we keep meeting?"

"We are attending the same party." he raised an eyebrow.

She scoffed, "If you're going to make perfectly logical points, I'm not sure I want to talk to you."

"Oh, I'm sorry," he laughed, "It must be fate!" He grasped her hand dramatically and she rolled her eyes, "We were meant to be together!" she stuck her tongue out at him.

"Very funny." she hid her smile.

"Hang on a second... Is that-" he took her glass and inspected it, before gasping loudly, "Are you, Althea Dubois, drinking water?"

She took another sip. "Don't look so shocked."

"Can't help it," he shrugged.

"Fair enough," she admitted, "I am only doing it to prove my friends wrong."

He chuckled, "Friendship at its finest."

"Oh, hush."

He sat down next to her and filled his mug with coffee. He was clearly very tired. "What's troubling you, kiddo?"

"What the hell?"

"I'm just impersonating those American barkeepers. You know, from all the movies."

"Oh, sorry I wouldn't know." she took a sip of water, "See, I have a social life."

He pursed his lips, "Nice dress, by the way. Looks like it's ten sizes too small, though."

She scoffed, "Please, you're just jealous that I'm hotter than your coffee."

"Who would've known that water makes you more of a bitch."

Althea spat out her water and coughed a couple times. Remus raised an eyebrow at her and she burst into a fit of laughter. Her shoulders shook and tears even slipped out of the corners of her eyes.

"I'm not that funny, you know." he noted, seeing down his drink.

"Oh, I know," she replied between giggles, "Just thinking about how true it is."

"You're a peculiar person, Althea."

"I'll toast to that."

*

"Kill me now." Yasmin groaned from next to her in History of Magic.

"Shut up or maybe I will." Althea snapped. It had been two hours since the latter had woken up, and she had heard nothing other than Yasmin's whining. Is that what Althea sounded like when she was hungover?

"Miss Dubois, do you have something to share with the class?" Professor Binns floated towards her and crossed his arms. She sat up straight. Why would he ask her? The rest of the class was practically yelling and she was the one getting punished for it.

"Only that Yasmin here should shut up." she said through gritted teeth.

"Is that anyway to speak to your friend?" he questioned.

She leaned over the table and rested her head on her palm. "You would too if you heard her."

With a huff, he walked away. He never gave any detentions. Althea was sure that he knew his class was punishment enough.

A paper flew in her direction and she didn't need to be a genius to realise who it was from. She unfolded it gently and sent an amused look in Remus' direction.

Is your friend dead?

Soon.

How ominous.

Oh haha. I'm just saying that because she won't stop whining.

Do you hear me complaining about James?

She took a peek over Yasmin's shoulder and saw James Potter sleeping on Remus' shoulder. He looked at her and gestured wildly towards his face. Althea's shoulders shook with silent laughter. Suddenly, she stopped.

I'm supposed to be investigating him, not befriending him!

Still, she couldn't quite convince herself that it was all for the plan, all for the secret. There was something genuine there. Her feelings may have been platonic, but that didn't mean they weren't real.

Just as the bell rang signifying the end of class, she spotted Sirius Black making kissy faces at the both of them.

"Oi, Lupin." she called to Remus as he exited the room, "Why is Black trying to air make-out with the both of us?"

"Because, Dubois, he enjoys making fun of me. Thinks I have a crush on you." he shrugged. "To be honest, I don't really think of you as girlfriend material."

She gasped. "What? How could you!" she clutched her heart in mock despair. "What is it about me?"

"I don't know." he pursed his lips. "Just... You."

"Gee, thanks." she rolled her eyes and looked through her bag, fishing out a small bottle of lip gloss and putting it on. "How about now?"

"Still no." he chuckled.

"How about now?" she asked, popping open the first few buttons of her school blouse.

"Still no." He replied, but she noticed the faint blush on his cheeks. She was making him uncomfortable. Her specialty.

She took a step forward and grabbed his tie, pulling his face inches from hers with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. She realised that he wore an intoxicating scent of cinnamon and chocolate and looked at him through her dark lashes.

"How about now?" she whispered with a smirk.

"I-- erm, you-- how-"

"I believe my work here is done." she grinned and sent a wink in his direction. He sighed in exasperation, his cheeks still beet red (through no fault of his own, of course, Althea was a professional seductress).

"What the hell."