Chapter 7: Xen

The thought about that person who walked out of Dr. Henderson's office got Mike thinking. "Could it be John?" Mike asks himself. Mike continues, "He would have told me." Mike and John share everything with each other. Mike decided to give him a call. Mike calls John to investigate. Mike watches 'Cops' sometimes on TV so he thinks he is a detective. Detectives are good at interrogating. Mike goes through his recent calls and pushes "Call John". John answers and says, "Hello, everything okay?!" He picks up thinking it's an emergency. Mike say, "Where were you in the afternoon time?" Mike knew this is strange to ask since they aren't in a relationship. In a matter of fact, they are in a bro-mance. Mike must be watching too much movies. "He pauses for a moment and then says, "I was home." Without giving him a chance to say a word, Mike quickly say," You don't know Henderson, Doctor Henderson?" Mike knows it was him but doesn't want him to be anger at him. "What are you talking about?" John said. He continues to say, "I never heard of him." Mike quickly change the subject to how Henderson prescribed him medication to sleep.

John was shocked when Mike told him that he was going to try the medication to sleep. John knows Mike hates Western medicine such taking medication. He knows Mikes philosophy. Mike said, "if it's ain't broke, don't fix it." John laughs and says, "If it can help you sleep, give it a try." Mike told John he'll keep him posted. Sophie walks in and says, "Don't be mean to Lori" She continues "Lori is playing with you." Mike isn't in the mood of this game, especially when he can't sleep a night. He didn't say that! He was thinking it, but it's not the same thing. He was annoyed by her and the thought of Lori's prank passed his mind.

Nevertheless, it is now time to take the medication, but before he must he do research. Reading the label isn't enough for Mike. It's important to know the facts about the product before you take it. There is no need to write a 10-page college research paper to show evidences and facts about the good of the medication Mike will be taking. Mike checks his phone. He recalls that it's important to check websites with .gov rather then .com. Keeping that in mind, he only wants reliable sources. He also recalls that the doctor didn't say a think about Xen, the sleeping drug. Not a single word. Is it a controlled substance or not? Mike founds that Xen is effective in helping people sleep as well as many other things. He also finds that it contains radiation. Radiation? Mike was glazed away and pauses for a few moments. He then remembers that radiation has to do with x-ray and something with light in a particle. Something like that, he's no scientist. That's so strange how the sleeping pill contains such a potent and dangerous thing. Should Mike tell Sophie? She might tell him to disregard it.

Mikes has a nice view of the beautiful sky from his window, sunset is approaching. It reminds him of his trip he went with Mac. He also giggles about that awesome adventure they had. Nature is such a magically thing. If we don't bring gadgets with us, we can enjoy it much more. He wishes that he didn't bring his phone with him on the trip. Nonetheless, he brings it in case of an emergency. Mike didn't have to bring his phone with him. Firstly, he wasn't alone. Secondly, the college students: Shag, Fra, Val and Dap were there. They had their cellphones with them. In case of an emergency, they would of helped. Mike comes back to reality and remembers he needs to take the pill Xen.

Before Mike can take Xen, he wants to call Dr. Henderson to ask him questions about the radiation that's in the medication. Mike searches for his phone. He's founds it on his bed next to him. Mike grabs it and almost drops it on the floor. He looks up Dr. Henderson's number. After looking for it for quite a while, Mike finally founds the number he was looking for. Dr. Henderson has the weirdest number Mike never seen. It's looks like a phone number from a different planet. Mike finds it strange that his mom didn't mention a word about the weird number when she called Dr. Henderson. Mike minds wonders off from reality. He's wondering if Henderson or anyone can communicate with another planet. This got Mike wondering about history. Mike knows that Apollo 13 landed on the moon in 1970 but did they communicate with earth via cellphone? He knows perhaps not in 1970 but maybe in the 2000's. By the 2000's, cellphones have evolved and become so popular. You can see teenagers' text while they cross the streets. Some gets hit by a car and it can end up deadly.

Sophie knocks on Mikes room and wants to come in. Mike tells her to come back later. Back to reality, Mike picks up his cell phone and dials the Henderson's strange numbers: 00000000000. In the back of Mike minds, he hopes not to get a big charge from his cellphone provider from dialing a number like that. It went straight to voicemail. It stated, "If you have an emergency, please go to your nearest emergency or call 911." Mike recalled that it's late at night and the office must be closed. Office hours are usually from 9 am till 5 pm. Mike doesn't know what to do now, to take the medication or not that is the question.