Chapter 9: Voices

It's the nice weekend, Lori doesn't like to wake up early. She doesn't like to rise before the rosters crow, even during the week. Knowing this is essential she must wake up early. Lori overheard that Sophie and Mike will be going to the doctor's office in the morning. She set her alarm clock to wake up before Sophie. Before Lori can do that, she must find her alarm first. She remembers it's 2020 and all phones have alarm clocks build into them. She set the alarm and goes right back to bed. As soon as Lori wakes up, she goes to Sophie. The look on Lori's face shows Sophie something isn't looking right.

Sophie is in her bedroom with Jack, Jack is asleep and passed out. Sophie just got up from a wonderful sleep. Sophie doesn't want to disturb Jack. She also wouldn't want Jack to find out what's going on. Sophie isn't curious to see Jack's reaction. She fears Jack reaction when finds out what's been going on with his son. Sophie hasn't told Jack anything about his son hearing strange sounds to feeling weird, and not sleeping a night. Jack doesn't understand the way Sophie understand Mike. Jack will take this situation in a whole different way. For example, Jack would take Mike to many more doctors for more exams. Not only to Dr. Henderson, but to other doctors as well. He would ask many questions, some questions asked may even be stupid questions. Jacks believes that there are no stupid questions; all question are important. Jack would ask so much questions. He would get to the bottom of the issue. Sophie mouths to Lori to meet her outside of her room.

Lori stops and wonders why Sophie does not want to speak to her in her bedroom. Lori has a few ideas of why Sophie is avoiding conversation next to Jack. Lori figures that Jack would not know how to react in a situation where Lori saw Mike spoke to himself and flips out. Lori also saw him speak to some voices. Lori waits for Sophie to come out of her bedroom. Sophie tiptoes outside of her bedroom. "Lori, why did you wake me up so early?" Sophie said. Sophie continues, "you hate waking up early? Are one your favorite boy's in town?" Lori likes a good laugh, but this is a serious matter and no times for jokes.

Sophie notices Lori's face has a straight serious look on her face. She appears to be pale, sweating with shock on her face. Sophie sees something must be seriously wrong. Without a moment to waste, Sophie asks, "What's going on here, Lori?" Your behavior is very strange." Lori grabs Sophie hands and doesn't say a word. Lori grabs Sophie's hand and takes her to her room where they will be alone. "I have something every important to tell you. It's about Mike," Lori said. Lori continues, "Last night, I was playing on my phone and I heard Mike go bananas, so I checked on him. I saw him talking to himself. Apparently, he calls it 'voices." Sophie doesn't know what's going on with Mike lately. Sophie was thankful for the information, especially since they will be going to the doctor soon. Sophie asks Lori not to tell Jack or anyone else a word about this. Lori agreed. Sophie wonders if Mike will tell her about what happened the last night.

Finally, morning has arrived, and Mike is exhausted from last night's rodeo. It's almost time to go to Dr. Henderson. Sophie didn't make an appointment. The office staff gave Sophie and Mike a hard time when coming in without an appointment. Mike remembers to ask Sophie about that. Sophie walks into Mike's room and insisted him with her go right away to Henderson. Mike mentions to Sophie about not having an appointment. Mike said, "You remember what happen last time, don't you?" Sophie looked puzzled with his response. Mike knows Sophie doesn't give a shit. "We are going without an appointment. I don't care what the secretary will say. We will just walk in," stated Sophie.

Mike doesn't know what to do or what to say. He wants to find out about the radiation in Xen and maybe mention the ''voices' to Doctor Henderson. He hadn't decided yet what to tell the doctor. However, this time Mike senses the secretary is not going to be polite as last time. She let Mike slide in to get checked by the doctor and not make them wait, even when Sophie was rude. Mike and Sophie arrive at Dr. Henderson's office. Before stepping inside, Sophie asks Mike if anything he would like to share with her from last night.