Sea Green Eyes

Sophie's POV

My eyes burned as I slowly opened them to see skyscrapers that looked like they touched the sky and bustling streets in each direction. The sound of peoples' mental voices and traffic ripped through my ears, and I clutched my temples.

As soon as I put up a barrier in my mind to block the stream of thoughts, I was able to gather my bearings. The smell of polluted air, restaurant food, and car exhaust filled my nostrils. I grimaced at the smell, unaccustomed to the awful stench that hung over the Forbidden Cities.

I felt weight on my back and straps on my shoulders, so I lifted off the straps and brought the object in front of me. A black backpack, with three pockets was in my arms, feeling like it was stuffed with bricks. In the biggest pocket was a map, a change of clothes, two Bottles of Youth, and some human snacks.

After opening the biggest pocket, I looked down and realized that I had black leggings, an oversized baby blue sweatshirt, and black Nike sneakers on. Okayyy, when did I change into that?

The second pocket had my Imparter, Pathfinder, and home crystal.

And, the last pocket had a small, crumpled piece of paper with a note written in hasty writing:

gave the Empire State its name
at the top are those who claim
in front stands your answer
for what you're most after

Gee, thanks. That explains everything.

After glaring at the note for a bit, I decided to figure out where in New York City I was. Turning around, I recognized where I was immediately. The famous Plaza Hotel towered over me, leaving me in awe. Sure, the elves had a prestigious academy covered in glowing fungi and palaces for houses, but I would never be able to get over humans' great architectural feats. Besides, the elves had gnomes and other intelligent creatures to help accomplish greatness. Humans were basically by themselves, ever since the sinking of Atlantis.

Anyways, I had to remind myself to solve the riddle that Mr. Forkle left me, seeing as how I had no idea when I was supposed to be at the place. The Empire State is obviously the name NY earned from the Empire State Building, so that was easy.

But, who claims things? And what do they claim? Not important, Sophie. Focus on the task at hand. The note said that my answer was in front of the Empire State Building, what I'm most after. I grew excited, knowing that I was a step closer to finally knowing who my biological father is.

My biological mother is Oralie, revealed to me during a session with her when I was first learning to control my Enhancing. Ever since, I had been itching to find out anything and everything about my biological father. Oralie had promised that she had no idea who my father is, and had probably never even met him. Mr. Forkle hadn't been helpful either, even though he knew the answer, until now.

I sighed and willed my feet to move forward. If my directions were right, the Empire State Building should be to the right of the Plaza Hotel, across 5th Avenue. Sure enough, as I grew closer, I could see the spire shooting up into the sky.

Finally, I reached the doors, watching the flag dance in the wind. Surprisingly, no tourists stood in front of the doors, save for a teenager with messy jet black hair and sea green eyes.

I approached him cautiously. He was standing nonchalantly, one hand in his pocket and the other holding a half-eaten cookie. Wait, is that cookie blue?

He noticed me walking toward him and straightened up, eyes narrowing. The hand that had been lodged in his pocket came out, holding a pen. He might've looked intimidating if he weren't holding up a pen and a half-eaten blue cookie.