Unexpected Duet - Chenle

"You're the coffee that I need in the morning
You're my sunshine in the rain when it's pouring"

_______________

I stood in the middle of the busy town square, the cold breeze of the evening whispering. It was another one of those nights where I go out with some of my friends. Either it'd be the arcade, sketchy convenience stores, or anything we saw fun in.

What I didn't expect was a busking in the town square. It's not like we didn't enjoy seeing other people busk and displaying their magnificent performances, it was quite the opposite actually.

What surprised me the most about it is standing in the middle of the crowd by the fountain, and a microphone in hand.

I stared out into the crowd, who payed no mind, with a frown etched on my features. From the corner of my eye I got a glimpse of my friends with huge cheerful smiles on their faces, silently cheering for me as they held up hearts and thumbs ups with their hands.

'Yeon, this is not what you prepared your 18 years of anti-social life for.' I thought to myself while internally facepalming.

I looked at the guitarist that sat not too far from where I stood, she was just patiently waiting for me. I only nodded hesitantly. Now you see, I don't know what song is gonna be played for me.

'I did not plan for any of this. God- I'm gonna embarrass myself just by not knowing the song. Why did I let my friends do this again??' I huffed at my thoughts, a nervous look took over my expressions as I waited for the girl to start playing.

It surprised me when a very familiar tune played. I sighed in relief and hummed to the tune, bringing the mic up as I stiffly stood, still a bit uncomfortable.

"You don't know, babe
When you hold me
And kiss me slowly
It's the sweetest thing"

I quietly exhaled, slowly letting myself sway to the strumming of the guitar's strings. I let a small smile wash over my previously stressed expression.

"And it don't change
If I had it my way
You would know that you are."

By then, a crowd quietly started forming. My nervousness slowly grew but I shrugged it off and kept my smile up. My grip on the mic grew tighter as soon as I noticed some take out their phones and cameras. I breathed in then exhaled, closing my eyes and focused on the strums.

"You're the coffee that I need in the morning
You're my sunshine in the rain when it's pouring
Won't you give yourself to me
Give it all, oh"

I fluttered my eyes open when I heard the crowd murmur. I could hear barely audible gasps from the back. The strums still continued and I worriedly look to the side where my friends were, who also held surprised looks on their faces. One of them gestured to me to continue, the others mouthing out to me to look to the opposite side.

"I just wanna see
I just wanna see how beautiful you are
You know that I see it
I know you're a star"

A new voice sang along with me, making me whip my head to the other side.

"Where you go I follow
No matter how far
If life is a movie
Oh you're the best part, oh oh oh
You're the best part, oh oh oh
Best part"

We both sang while looking into each other's eyes from a distance. The figure wore a genuine smile on his face as he held up a mic. His black hair parted in the middle and hovered over his eyes. My eyes widened in shock as soon as I recognized who he was. He walked over to me and swayed along to the tune, the crowd does too.

"It's the sunrise
And those brown eyes, yes
You're the one that I desire
When we wake up
And then we make love
It makes me feel so nice"

His familiar sweet voice sang as he strolled waving slowly to the crowd, I hummed as he did.

"You're my water when I'm stuck in the desert
You're the Tylenol I take when my head hurts
You're the sunshine on my life"

I felt my heart beating quicker every time he sang. 'Do the gods want a favor from me or something? What in my past life did I do to deserve this? Is this what the gods are giving me because this is my last life? Oh no I'm gonna die aren't I? Is this the time where I collapse?' Those thoughts ran through my mind at that moment. He stood by me and looked at me as he sang.

"I just wanna see how beautiful you are
You know that I see it
I know you're a star"

Our eyes met and I swear I felt like my heart was about to burst out of my chest any moment. The stars glistenned as his beautiful dark eyes reflected them. The bright light of the moon gazed over at him, his features now clear. He smiled and I quickly looked away, my eyes over at the crowd quietly darned over the moment. I could feel heat rise up my face in embarrassment.

"Where you go I follow
No matter how far
If life is a movie
Then you're the best part, oh oh oh
You're the best part, oh oh oh
Best part"

I tapped my foot to the beat as I sang out the backing vocals. His voice stood out so much. My eyes travelled, landing on the group of boys who were quietly teasing the boy beside me, whose smile grew and his eyes flattened into lines once he noticed them. One from the group with recognizable blue hair energetically waved at the both of us with a huge smile on his face.

"If you love me won't you say something
If you love me won't you
Won't you
If you love me won't you say something
Love me, won't you"

We neared the song's end as we sang our hearts out. The crowd emitted cheers as soon as the song came to an end. All nervousness and worry were drained out of me. I smiled out to them and bowed as I whispered 'thank you' into the mic. The atmosphere felt warmer and more welcoming than how it did for me just a few minutes ago. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I looked over. I felt my breath hitch at that moment and I froze.

I bowed and he returned the gesture, a small smile remained on his face.
"Chenle, nice to meet you!" He reached his hand toward me. I was confused for a moment till I realized and carefully shook his hand, my face still warm. "Ah it's nice to meet you too- uh- I'm Kang Yeon!" I nervously smiled.

"Great voice by the way!" He complimented and pointed at me. I widened my eyes and waved my hands in front of me as I looked down trying to hide my flustered features. "Oh nononono- ah I mean, thank you- I mean- you have a great voice too- I-" I hid my face in my gloved palms.

'Why. Am I. So. Embarrassing'

He chuckled at my flustered state. He brought a hand up his neck and diverted his eyes to a different direction. He cleared his voice which made me look up at him.

"So, do you want to go-"

Just as he was about to continue we heard the guitarist strum another familiar tune and the crowd cheered once again. We both awkwardly laughed as he brought up the mic up and started singing once again, I followed after.

We sang a few more songs that night and might I say it was delightful.

_______________

I don't know man hsjdjdhdhjdjd🤷🏻‍://
This is another idea -aerizennie- gave me
So thanks again my dud ;_;;