Arcade Regular - Jisung

"You're the arcade regular"

_____________

I sat there leaning on the glass counter as the fan blared and harshly blew gusts of hot air towards my tired features. It was at about eleven in the morning and outside I could see the quiet streets and cars occasionally zooming by our shop. It was a day like no other in these quiet parts of Akihabara.

The interior of the shop was filled with many different video games you could either buy or rent. Most of them were old classics that people loved back in the day, they still do, it's just that the newer games have grown to be more popular with the youth nowadays.

I was a retro kid, as some had labeled me back then. I didn't take too much interest with the new and my love for classics have always stuck to me since childhood. Every after school I'd just hide myself in my room, play games and maybe with music in the back. My brother often joined me as well and we would go and compete with each other. Those were the fun times back in Osaka.

Our shop had been an opportunity given to us by our grandparents, who truly treasured the gaming tradition in our family. Yes, gaming is a tradition we pass on in our family. Though since we weren't the most wealthy people we were given a building that's not too rundown, but it was a bit farther from the main streets of Akihabara. The only thing we get is gossips from passerby's saying how our shop is a 'Last Resort' to those who have no choice but to go here. Irritating, honestly.

I groaned in frustration at the heat, letting my head fall hit the glass as I ruffles my hair in annoyance. "I should've taken the arcade instead.." I mumbled for the nth time today.

I stood from my chair and stomped over to the glass door that connected the shop to another part of the building. I pushed the door by its metal frame and immediately, a gush of cold air greets me from the arcade. I let myself be engulfed by the coolness of the room. Purple lights lit up the room as the bright screens from the arcade machine brightened it. I remembered what I came here for and continuously walked around the machines and games.

"Yuta!" I yelled whilst walking around

The arcade was no different either, it was empty and quiet. Except it didn't feel too empty. The presence of the machines and the familiar sounds emitting from them gives a nostalgic feeling. I was about to yell for my brother once more but I heard rushing footsteps on the stairs behind the counter. I looked around to see none other than my brother, in a flashy outfit, with a luggage held in his hand as the other held the frame of his flame design sunglasses.

"Hello my beautiful sister, except I'm more beautiful of course." He proudly stated, I only looked back at him in disappointment.

"Where.. where are you going with- that?" I pointed my finger at his outfit and his luggage, the look of disappointment remained unchanged. "I'll be visiting Saito in Nagoya, they'll be having a tournament there and I was invited."

"You were actually invited? By Saito?" I snickered, "Wonder how many times you pleaded over the phone just for her to actually let you go and watch her race." I mumbled, slowly finding it harder to keep in my laugh.

He rolled his eyes as he walked over to me, chopping my head jokingly with the edge of his hand. I winced in pain and hovered my hand over the now red area. "I know you did that as a joke but that shit hurt you know?" I glared up at him. "Just go. Get me something when you come back." I mumbled with a salty expression, looking away. He hugged me and ruffled my hair, smiling at me. He walked to the arcade's entrance and pushed the door, he paused and looked over at me with another smile on his face.