T W E N T Y

Did last night actually happen?

I kept asking myself as I lay here at seven AM with Daisy's small arm stretched across my chest. Seeing her sparkly pink nail varnish as I lay here was like heaven. Last night did happen. And it was beyond perfect. And everything about her body was perfect, so beautiful.

I watched the swell of her breasts raise up and down as she breathed softly in her sleep. Her tummy had small stretch marks from carrying Hope, and I trailed my finger across them. There was a few times last night she said they made her feel self conscious, but she had no reason to. I'd kissed every one of them too so she understood. Every time I did it she would release a bunch of giggles claiming it was tickling her, I couldn't help join in; her laugh was a unique sound that made my heart swell.

I found myself smiling as I thought about it.

I didn't want to wake her, but there was no way I was falling back to sleep. I'd had about four hours altogether, but I was wide awake now. So I gently lifted myself off the bed, covering her whole body with the quilt, and tiptoed into the kitchen. I'm sure I could rustle up some breakfast for all three of us, and maybe they would be awake then. If not I'd bring her breakfast in bed, I'm sure she'd love that too.

I scattered round the kitchen, searching the wooden cupboards and fridge for all the essential items. I decided to make: eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes and waffles. I just needed the right ingredients to make the last two from scratch. Not to forget a lot of saucepans.

Eventually, after a long five minutes, I'd found all the ingredients and started cooking. I loved to cook, but I didn't really know what they both enjoyed for breakfast. What would a two year old like to eat for breakfast? I thought, as I mixed all the ingredients together for the pancakes while watching the bacon sizzle. I'd got out syrup too so they could have that on their pancakes. I just wanted everything to be perfect. I checked the fridge for juice, and cursed when I saw there was none. Hope could have milk, but what if she preferred orange juice or apple juice?

I made a quick decision to phone the front desk, and ask if the restaurant could send up a variety of juices. Maybe having money has some perks, but I would of done anything to get this little girl juice. Rich or poor.

Nearly an hour later I had an island full of food, juice, coffee, and tea. They both hadn't woken up yet and it was nearly eight.

I was about to fill a tray with food when I heard the movement from one of the bedrooms. Deciding I wanted it to be a surprise, I quickly raced to see if it was Daisy. When I got there she was still sound asleep, which meant it was Hope. As soon as I turned around and closed the door, she was standing there in her frozen pyjamas, hair tousled, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. I knelt down to her level to say good morning, and her little smile came crashing into me. I forgot what words were just seeing her smile like that, it hurt knowing she didn't have a daddy because of the way he was. She deserved so much more. No little girl deserved the life she's been handed, I just hope I can turn it around for them both.